How to split one single row to multiple rows in Excel?
For example a row is too long to display completely in the Excel window, and you have to move the horizontal scrollbar to view behind cells. For easily viewing all values in this row, you may want to split this long row to multiple rows, but how? Here are several solutions for you.
- Split one single row to multiple rows (one column) by Paste Transpose feature
- Split one single row to multiple rows (multiple columns) by Kutools for Excel
- Split one single cell row to multiple rows by Kutools for Excel
Normally we can copy the single row and then apply the Paste Transpose feature to convert this single row to multiple rows (one column) in Excel. Please do as follows:
1. Select the single row and copy it by pressing the Ctrl + C keys simultaneously.
2. Select the first cell of destination range, right click and select Transpose under the Paste Options. See screenshot:
Note: In Excel 2007, you can click Home > Paste > Transpose to paste the row as a column.
And then the single row is pasted as one column with multiple rows. See screenshot above.
Sometimes you may need to split one single row to multiple rows with multiple columns. To meet this requirement, we can apply Kutools for Excel’s Transform Range utility.
1. Select the single row and click Kutools > Range > Transform Range. See screenshot:
2. In the opening Transform Range dialog box, in the Transform type section check the Single row to range option, in the Columns per record section check Fixed value option and type a number into right box, and click the Ok button. See screenshot:
3. In the second Transform Range dialog box, specify the first cell of destination range and click the OK button.
Now you will see the single row has been split into multiple rows with multiple columns as below screenshot shown:
If you have a row with only one cell which containing very long content, Kutools for Excel’s Split Cell utility can also help you split this one single cell row to multiple rows easily.
1. Select the one single cell row, and click Kutools > Text > Split Cells. See screenshot:
2. In the opening Split Cells dialog box, please check the Split to Rows option in the Type section, specify a separator based on your needs in the Specify a separator section, and click the Ok button. See screenshot above:
3. In the second Split Cells dialog box, specify the first cell of destination range, and click the OK button.
And now you will see the one single cell row has been split to multiple rows. See screenshot:
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!