How to split one single row to multiple rows in Excel?
For example a row is too long to display completely in the Excel window, and you have to move the horizontal scrollbar to view behind cells. For easily viewing all values in this row, you may want to split this long row to multiple rows, but how? Here are several solutions for you.
- Reuse Anything: Add the most used or complex formulas, charts and anything else to your favorites, and quickly reuse them in the future.
- More than 20 text features: Extract Number from Text String; Extract or Remove Part of Texts; Convert Numbers and Currencies to English Words.
- Merge Tools: Multiple Workbooks and Sheets into One; Merge Multiple Cells/Rows/Columns Without Losing Data; Merge Duplicate Rows and Sum.
- Split Tools: Split Data into Multiple Sheets Based on Value; One Workbook to Multiple Excel, PDF or CSV Files; One Column to Multiple Columns.
- Paste Skipping Hidden/Filtered Rows; Count And Sum by Background Color; Send Personalized Emails to Multiple Recipients in Bulk.
- Super Filter: Create advanced filter schemes and apply to any sheets; Sort by week, day, frequency and more; Filter by bold, formulas, comment...
- More than 300 powerful features; Works with Office 2007-2019 and 365; Supports all languages; Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization.
Normally we can copy the single row and then apply the Paste Transpose feature to convert this single row to multiple rows (one column) in Excel. Please do as follows:
1. Select the single row and copy it by pressing the Ctrl + C keys simultaneously.
2. Select the first cell of destination range, right click and select Transpose under the Paste Options. See screenshot:
Note: In Excel 2007, you can click Home > Paste > Transpose to paste the row as a column.
And then the single row is pasted as one column with multiple rows. See screenshot above.
Sometimes you may need to split one single row to multiple rows with multiple columns. To meet this requirement, we can apply Kutools for Excel’s Transform Range utility.
1. Select the single row and click Kutools > Range > Transform Range. See screenshot:
2. In the opening Transform Range dialog box, in the Transform type section check the Single row to range option, in the Columns per record section check Fixed value option and type a number into right box, and click the Ok button. See screenshot:
3. In the second Transform Range dialog box, specify the first cell of destination range and click the OK button.
Now you will see the single row has been split into multiple rows with multiple columns as below screenshot shown:
If you have a row with only one cell which containing very long content, Kutools for Excel’s Split Cell utility can also help you split this one single cell row to multiple rows easily.
1. Select the one single cell row, and click Kutools > Text > Split Cells. See screenshot:
2. In the opening Split Cells dialog box, please check the Split to Rows option in the Type section, specify a separator based on your needs in the Specify a separator section, and click the Ok button. See screenshot above:
3. In the second Split Cells dialog box, specify the first cell of destination range, and click the OK button.
And now you will see the one single cell row has been split to multiple rows. See screenshot: