How to count the number of cells with data in Excel?
Supposing you have a range of data, and some cells in this range are without any data, but you just need to count the number of cells with data, do you have any good methods to count the nonblank cells only instead of counting one by one manually in Excel?
Compare Ranges utility （can compare two ranges, and select and color the same values or different values.）
Recommended Excel Productivity Tools
Here I can tell you a simple formula to count the cells containing data in Excel.
Select a blank cell which you will output the counting result, and enter this formula =COUNTA(A1:D7), press Enter key to get the answer. See screenshot:
Tip: in the formula, A1:D7 is the data range you use.
|Never need to worry about long long formulas in Excel anymore! Kutools for Excel's Auto Text can add all formulas to a group
as auto text, and liberate your brain! Know About Auto Text Get Free Trial
If you want to count the cells with data, but also identify and select these cells, you can use Kutools for Excel’s Select Nonblank Cells utility to quickly count the cells which contain data and select them.
|Kutools for Excel, with more than 120 handy Excel functions, enhance your working efficiency and save your working time.|
After free installing Kutools for Excel, please do as below:
1. Select the data range you use, and then click Kutools > Select > Select Nonblank Cells. See screenshot:
2. Then a dialog pops out to tell you the number of nonblank cells, and at the same time, all the nonblank cells are selected. See screenshot:
3. You can close OK to close the dialog, and the nonblank cells will be kept selected.
- How to count visible or filtered cell only in Excel?
- How to quickly count the first instance only of duplicates in Excel?