How to count the number of cells with data in Excel?
Supposing you have a range of data, and some cells in this range are without any data, but you just need to count the number of cells with data, do you have any good methods to count the nonblank cells only instead of counting one by one manually in Excel?
Compare Ranges utility （can compare two ranges, and select and color the same values or different values.）
- Reuse Anything: Add the most used or complex formulas, charts and anything else to your favorites, and quickly reuse them in the future.
- More than 20 text features: Extract Number from Text String; Extract or Remove Part of Texts; Convert Numbers and Currencies to English Words.
- Merge Tools: Multiple Workbooks and Sheets into One; Merge Multiple Cells/Rows/Columns Without Losing Data; Merge Duplicate Rows and Sum.
- Split Tools: Split Data into Multiple Sheets Based on Value; One Workbook to Multiple Excel, PDF or CSV Files; One Column to Multiple Columns.
- Paste Skipping Hidden/Filtered Rows; Count And Sum by Background Color; Send Personalized Emails to Multiple Recipients in Bulk.
- Super Filter: Create advanced filter schemes and apply to any sheets; Sort by week, day, frequency and more; Filter by bold, formulas, comment...
- More than 300 powerful features; Works with Office 2007-2019 and 365; Supports all languages; Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization.
Here I can tell you a simple formula to count the cells containing data in Excel.
Select a blank cell which you will output the counting result, and enter this formula =COUNTA(A1:D7), press Enter key to get the answer. See screenshot:
Tip: in the formula, A1:D7 is the data range you use.
|Never need to worry about long long formulas in Excel anymore! Kutools for Excel's Auto Text can add all formulas to a group |
as auto text, and liberate your brain! Know About Auto Text Get Free Trial
If you want to count the cells with data, but also identify and select these cells, you can use Kutools for Excel’s Select Nonblank Cells utility to quickly count the cells which contain data and select them.
|Kutools for Excel, with more than 120 handy Excel functions, enhance your working efficiency and save your working time.|
After free installing Kutools for Excel, please do as below:
1. Select the data range you use, and then click Kutools > Select > Select Nonblank Cells. See screenshot:
2. Then a dialog pops out to tell you the number of nonblank cells, and at the same time, all the nonblank cells are selected. See screenshot:
3. You can close OK to close the dialog, and the nonblank cells will be kept selected.
- How to count visible or filtered cell only in Excel?
- How to quickly count the first instance only of duplicates in Excel?