How to count ignore hidden cells/rows/columns in Excel?
Normally, we can apply the SUBTOTAL function to easily count the number of cells in a filtered list. But sometimes, we may need to count the number of cells ignoring cells/rows/column which are hidden manually. This article will show you some ways to count excluding hidden cells/rows/columns easily in Excel.
Excel Productivity Tools
Office Tab: Bring powerful tabs to Office (include Excel), just like Chrome, Safari, Firefox and Internet Explorer. Save you half the time, and reduce thousands of mouse clicks for you. 30-day Unlimited Free Trial
Kutools for Excel: Save 70% of your time and solve 80% Excel problems for you. 300+ advanced features designed for 1500+ work scenario, make Excel much easy and increase productivity immediately. 60-day Unlimited Free Trial
This method will introduce the SUBTOTAL function and AGGREGATE function to count ignoring manually hidden cells or rows in Excel.
For example I have manually hidden some rows in a table as below screenshot shown. And I will walk you through counting the number of cells excluding all hidden cells and rows in detail.
Select a blank cell you will place the counting result into, type the formula =SUBTOTAL(102,C2:C22) (C2:C22 is the range where you want to count ignoring manually hidden cells and rows) into it, and press the Enter key.
And now you will get the number of cells in specified range ignoring all manually hidden cells or rows.
(1) For counting the number of all kinds of cells with excluding manually hidden cells and rows, please apply this formula =SUBTOTAL(103,A2:A22).
(2) In Excel 2010 or higher version, you can also apply the formula =AGGREGATE(2,3,C2:C22) to count the amount of number cells with ignoring manually hidden cells and rows. See below screenshot; and apply the formula =AGGREGATE(3,3,A2:A22) to count the amount of all kinds of cells with ignoring manually hidden cells and rows.
(3) All above formulas will not ignore cells of hidden columns.
For example I have manually hidden 3 columns and 4 rows in a table as below screenshot shown, and I will show you the details to count the amount of all kinds of cells with ignoring all hidden rows and columns by the COUNTVISIBLE function of Kutools for Excel.
Kutools for Excel - Combines more than 300 Advanced Functions and Tools for Microsoft Excel
Select a blank cell you will place the counting result into, and type the formula =COUNTVISIBLE(B2:H11) (B2:H11 is the range where you will count cells ignoring hidden cells/rows/columns) into it, and press the Enter key.
And now you will get the total number of all kinds of cells in the specified range with excluding all hidden rows and columns. See screenshot:
Note: You can also apply this COUNTVISIBLE function as follows:
1. Select a blank cell and click Kutools > Functions > Statistical & Math > COUNTVISIBLE.
2. In the opening Function Arguments dialog box, please specify the range you will count cells ignoring all manually hidden rows and column into the Reference box, and click the OK button. See above screenshot: