How to sum only filtered or visible cells in Excel?
Maybe it is easy for you to sum a column of numbers in Excel, but sometimes you need to filter or hide some data to meet your criteria. After hiding or filtering, and now you just want to add up only the filtered or visible values. If you apply the Sum function in Excel, all the values including the hidden data will be added, in this case, how could you sum only the filtered or visible cell values in Excel?
The normally SUM/Count/Average function will count all cells in the specified range on matter cells are hidden/filtered or not. While the Subtotal function can only sum/count/average with ignoring hidden rows. However, Kutools for Excel SUMVISIBLE/COUNTVISIBLE/AVERAGEVISIBLE functions will easily calculate the specified range with ignoring any hidden cells, rows, or columns. See screenshot:
Recommended Productivity Tools
With this SUBTOTAL function which ignores rows that have been excluded by a filter, you can easily add up only the visible cells. You can do as this:
Supposing you have a range of data, and they have been filtered as you need, see screenshot:
1. In a blank cell, C13 for example, enter this formula: =Subtotal(109,C2:C12) (109 indicates when you sum the numbers, the hidden values will be ignored; C2:C12 is the range you will sum ignoring filtered rows.), and press the Enter key.
Note: This formula also can help you sum only the visible cells if there are hidden rows in your worksheet. However, this formula can't sum with ignoring cells in hidden columns.
If you are interested in the following code, it also can help you to sum only the visible cells.
1. Hold down the ALT + F11 keys, and it opens the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. Click Insert > Module, and paste the following code in the Module window.
Function SumVisible(WorkRng As Range) As Double 'Update 20130907 Dim rng As Range Dim total As Double For Each rng In WorkRng If rng.Rows.Hidden = False And rng.Columns.Hidden = False Then total = total + rng.Value End If Next SumVisible = total End Function
3. Save this code and enter the formula =SumVisible(C2:C12) into a blank cell. See screenshot:
4. Then press Enter key and you will get the result that you want.
If you have Kutools for Excel installed, you can quickly calculate the sum/count/average only visible or filtered out cells in Excel easily.
Kutools for Excel - Combines More Than 120 Advanced Functions and Tools for Microsoft Excel
For example you want to sum only visible cells only, please select the cell you will place the summing result at, type the formula =SUMVISIBLE(C3:C12) (C3:C13 is the range where you will sum only visible cells) into it, and press the Enter key.
And then the summing result is calculated with ignoring all hidden cells. See screenshot:
For counting only visible cells, please apply this formula =COUNTVISIBLE(C3:C12); For averaging only visible cells, please apply this formula =AVERAGEVISIBLE(C3:C12).
Note: If you can't remember the formulas exactly, you can following below steps to sum/count/average only visible cells easily:
1. Select the cell you will place the summing result into, and click Kutools > Functions > Statistical & Math > SUMVISIBLE (or AVERAGEVISBLE, COUNTVISIBLE as you need). See screenshot:
2. In the opening Function Arguments dialog box, please specify the range where you will sum ignoring hidden cells, and click the OK button. See screenshot:
And then the summing result is calculated with ignoring all hidden cells.
When summing/counting filtered out cells in Excel, the SUM function or Count function will not ignore hidden cells. If hidden/filtered rows are removed, we can only sum or count visible cells easily. You can try Kutools for Excel's Delete Hidden (Visible) Rows & Columns utility to solve it.
Recommended Productivity Tools
Bring handy tabs to Excel and other Office software, just like Chrome, Firefox and new Internet Explorer.
Amazing! Increase your productivity in 5 minutes. Don't need any special skills, save two hours every day!
200 New Features for Excel, Make Excel Much Easy and Powerful:
- Merge Cell/Rows/Columns without Losing Data.
- Combine and Consolidate Multiple Sheets and Workbooks.
- Compare Ranges, Copy Multiple Ranges, Convert Text to Date, Unit and Currency Conversion.
- Count by Colors, Paging Subtotals, Advanced Sort and Super Filter,
- More Select/Insert/Delete/Text/Format/Link/Comment/Workbooks/Worksheets Tools...