How to add or subtract hours from a date/time field in Excel?
This article aims to show you methods of adding or subtracting hours from a date/time field in Excel. Please do as follows.
- Reuse Anything: Add the most used or complex formulas, charts and anything else to your favorites, and quickly reuse them in the future.
- More than 20 text features: Extract Number from Text String; Extract or Remove Part of Texts; Convert Numbers and Currencies to English Words.
- Merge Tools: Multiple Workbooks and Sheets into One; Merge Multiple Cells/Rows/Columns Without Losing Data; Merge Duplicate Rows and Sum.
- Split Tools: Split Data into Multiple Sheets Based on Value; One Workbook to Multiple Excel, PDF or CSV Files; One Column to Multiple Columns.
- Paste Skipping Hidden/Filtered Rows; Count And Sum by Background Color; Send Personalized Emails to Multiple Recipients in Bulk.
- Super Filter: Create advanced filter schemes and apply to any sheets; Sort by week, day, frequency and more; Filter by bold, formulas, comment...
- More than 300 powerful features; Works with Office 2007-2019 and 365; Supports all languages; Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization.
You can apply the following formulas to add or subtract hours from a date/time field in Excel.
Add hours to a date/time field
If you want to add 12 hours to a date/time field as below screenshot, you can apply the following formula.
1. Select a blank cell says cell C2, enter formula =A2+12/24 into the formula bar, and then press the Enter key.
Note: In the formula, A2 contains the date/time field, 12 is the hours you need to add to the date/time field. You can change them based on your need.
Then you will get the final date and time after adding certain hours to a date/time field.
Subtract hours from a date/time field
For subtracting 12 hours from a date/time field, you can apply this formula =A2-12/24. See screenshot:
If you don’t remember the formulas, Kutools for Excel’s Add hours to date function will help you easily add or subtract hours from a date/time field.
|Kutools for Excel : with more than 300 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 60 days.|
1. Select a blank cell for locating the result, then click Kutools > Formulas > Add hours to date. See screenshot:
2. In the Formula Helper dialog box, you need to:
(2) In the Number box, just enter the number of hours you need to add.
Click the OK button.
Note: For subtracting 12 hours, please enter -12 into the Number box. See screenshot:
After clicking the OK button, you will get a new time in the selected cell. Then you should change the cell format to the date and time format as you need.
- How to add number of business/working days or hours to a date in Excel?
- How to convert birthdate to age quickly in Excel?