How to fill down IP Address with increment in Excel?
Sometimes you may need to assign IP address to your colleagues, and the range of IP address may generate from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.10.1 for instance. What can you do to generate them easily? Actually, the Auto Fill feature cannot work with this, or you can just create them manually by entering them in cells one by one? This article will recommend you two methods to fill down IP address with increment in Excel.
Recommended Productivity Tools for Excel
Office Tab: Bring powerful tabs to Office (include Excel), just like Chrome, Safari, Firefox and Internet Explorer. Save you half the time, and reduce thousands of mouse clicks for you. 30-day Unlimited Free Trial
Kutools for Excel: Save 71% of your time and solve 82% Excel problems for you. 300+ advanced tools designed for 1500+ work scenario, make Excel much easy and increase productivity immediately.60-day Unlimited Free Trial
If you want to generate the range of IP Address from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.10.1 (the increment number locates in the third octet), the following formula will help you.
1. Select a blank cell (says cell B2), enter formula ="192.168."&ROWS($A$1:A1)&".1" into the formula bar, and then press the Enter key. See screenshot:
2. Then you can see the first IP Address is created, select this cell, drag its Fill Handle down to the cell until all needed IP Addresses are created.
1. In the formula, 192, 168 and 1are the first two octet and the last octet of the IP Address. A1 means that the row number of this cell is extracted as the third octet of the IP Address. If the third octet number begins with 3, A1 should be changed to A3, and the $A$1 is a constant, you needn’t change it.
2. For generating IP Addresses increment the first octet, please use this formula:
3. For generating IP Addresses increment the second octet, pleas apply this formula:
4. And for generating IP Addresses increment the fourth octet, this formula will work.
5. Please change the octet numbers based on your needs.
If the above formulas are hard to remember, the Insert Sequence Number utility of Kutools for Excel can help you easily solve this problem.
1. Click Kutoos > Insert > Insert Sequence Number. See screenshot:
2. In the Insert Sequence Number dialog box, you need to:
(2) Enter the start number of the increment octet into the Start number box.
(3) Specify the increment number in the Increment box.
(4) Specify the number of digits.
(5) Enter the fixed octets of your IP Address separately into the Prefix(optional) and the Suffix(optional) boxes.
(6) Click the Add button.
3. When you need to create the IP Addresses with increment you specified, please select the range of cells you need to locate the IP Addresses, then select this IP Address rule in the Insert Sequence Number dialog box, and finally click the Fill Range button. See screenshot:
You can also use this utility to generate invoice number as well.
Kutools for Excel includes more than 300 handy Excel tools. Free to try with no limitation in 60 days. Download the free trial now!
- How to fill column with series repeating pattern numbers in Excel?
- How to fill series of numbers in a filtered list column in Excel?