How to fill series of numbers in a filtered list column in Excel?
Sometimes, you need to fill only the filtered list with series numbers and ignore the hidden cells. In this case, the AutoFill Handle feature can't help, so how can you achieve it? This video collects three methods for you to fill only the number series in a filtered list in Excel.
Fill same numbers in a filtered list with selecting all visible cells
Easily fill series of numbers in a filtered list with Paste to visible range utility
Create a series of numbers and fill it in a filtered list with Insert Sequence Numbers utility
If you want to fill all filtered out cells with same content, this section will help you. Please do as follows.
1. Select the range with all filtered out cells you want to fill with same content, and then press the F5 key.
2. In the popping up Go To dialog box, click the Special button. See screenshot:
3. In the Go To Special dialog box, select the Visible cells only option, and then click the OK button. See screenshot:
4. Now only the filtered cells are selected in the list, please press the Space key, enter the number or text you need, then press the Ctrl + Enter keys simultaneously to fill all visible cells with the same content. See screenshot:
The Paste to visiblerange utility of Kutools for Excel, will help you easily copy a series, and paste it only to the visible cells in a filtered list.
Before applying Kutools for Excel, please download and install it firstly.
1. Manually create a series number list, select this list, and then click Kutools > Range > Paste to Visible Range > Only Paste Values. See screenshot:
Note: If you want to paste values with format, please click Kutools > Range > Paste to Visible Range > All.
2. In the Paste to Visible Range, select the range with filtered cells you want to fill with series numbers, and then click the OK button.
You can see the filtered list is filled with series numbers as below screenshots shown.
If you want to auto generate series of numbers and fill it in a filtered list, you can try the Insert Sequence Numbers utility of Kutools for Excel.
1. Click Kutools > Insert > Insert Sequence Number. See screenshot:
2. In the Insert Sequence Number dialog box, click the New button to expand the dialog box, and then do the following configuration.
A. Type a name for this series in the Name box.
B. Enter the first number of the series into the Start number box.
C. Enter the increment number into the Increment box.
D. Specify number of digits you want to display in the No. of digits box.
E. Click the Add button.
3. Select the filtered list you want to fill with series number, select the series you are created in the Insert Sequence Number dialog box, and then click the Fill Range button. See screenshot:
Now only the filtered cells are filled with series numbers. Close the dialog box.
1. All numbers in the series are unique. Next time when you reuse this series in the Insert Sequence Number dialog box, the start number will be one increasing compare with the last number of the previous inserted series.
2. For creating a repeated series, please check the End number box, and specify an end number in the box.
- How to create increment number with or inside text in Excel?
- How to fill column with series repeating pattern numbers in Excel?
- How to fill series in backward, descending or decreasing order in Excel?