How to convert currency to text with formatting or vice versa in Excel?
For example, you have formatted numbers as currency in Excel, and now you want to convert the currency to text with the formatting, how could you solve it easily? On the contrary, what about converting currency text to number in Excel? There are several solutions for you:
Convert currency to text:
- Convert currency to text with formatting with formula
- Convert currency to text with formatting with Kutools for Excel
Convert text to currency:
We can apply the TEXT formula to convert the currency to text with formatting easily in Excel. Please do as follows:
Select a blank cell beside the currency column, says Cell C2, enter the formula =TEXT(B2,"$ #,##0.00 ;") (B2 is the cell with the currency you will convert ) into it, and then drag this cell’s AutoFill Handle to the range as you need.
And then all currency numbers are converted to text with formatting, see below screenshot:
Sometimes, you may need to convert the currency numbers and overwrite original currency numbers with the text with formatting directly. Here I recommend the Add Text utility of Kutools for Excel.
1. Select the currency numbers you will convert, and click Kutools > Text > Add Text.
2. In the opening Add Text dialog box, type ‘$ into the Text box, check the Before first character option, and click the Ok button.
And then all selected currency numbers are converted to text with currency formatting directly. See screenshot:
If you want to convert the currency text strings to numbers in Excel, you can apply the VALUE formula to get it done quickly!
Select a blank cell besides original currency text strings column, says Cell C2, type the formula =VALUE(B2) (B2 is the text cell with currency format you will convert to number) into it, and then drag this cell’s AutoFill Handle to the range as you need.
And now all text with currency format are converted to numbers. See screenshot:
Note: If you want to format the numbers to currency, please right click the numbers and select the Format Cells from the right-clicking menu, and then specify the currency in the opening Format Cells dialog box. See screenshot:
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!