How to insert last saved timestamp into worksheet cell in Excel?
In many cases, you may need to show the last saved date and time of the Excel file on worksheet in order to know when the file was updated recently. You can deal with this problem with the following two methods.
You can use the following user-defined function to insert the last saved timestamp of a workbook on a certain worksheet.
1. Press Alt + F11 keys simultaneously to open the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. In the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window, click Insert > Module. Then copy and paste the following VBA code into the Code window.
VBA code: Insert the last saved timestamp on worksheet
Function LastSavedTimeStamp() As Date LastSavedTimeStamp = ActiveWorkbook.BuiltinDocumentProperties("Last Save Time") End Function
3. Press Alt + Q keys to close the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window and return to the worksheet.
4. Select a blank cell you need to display the last saved timestamp of the workbook, enter formula =LastSavedTimeStamp() and press the Enter key, and a number will be displayed.
5. And then you need to format the number cell as date time format as below screenshot shown.
Now the last saved timestamp is displayed in the selected cell.
Note: If you want to reuse the VBA in the future, please save the workbook as an Excel Macro-Enabled Workbook.
The Insert Workbook Information utility of Kutools for Excel help you quickly insert the last saved or modified timestamp not only in a specified cell, but also in header or footer as you need.
Before applying Kutools for Excel, please download and install it firstly.
1. Select a blank cell for showing the last saved timestamp, then click Kutools Plus > Workbook > Insert Workbook Information. See screenshot:
2. In the Insert Workbook Information dialog box, select the Date modified option in the Information section, then select an option you need in the Insert at section (in this case, I select the range option), and finally click the OK button.
Then the last saved timestamp is showing in the worksheet.
Note: If you need to insert the last saved timestamp to the header or footer of current worksheet, please select the Header or Footer option.
- How to get and insert the last modified user name in Excel?
- How to print sheet name or a list of sheet names in Excel?
You are guest ( Sign Up? )
or post as a guest, but your post won't be published automatically.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 1 months agoThe code works great, thank you However, is there a way to get it to update automatically update each time I save After I save, I have to go into the formula within the cell, click enter to get it to reflect the new save timestamp.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 3 months agoyou need to save excel file as macro enabled
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 1 years agoThank you!
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 1 years agoThanks for the article. Worked perfect to me.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 2 years agoBecause of the title I thought I was getting a date stamp for the worksheet, but after getting it to work was disappointed to see that it's actually for the workbook and not at all what I wanted. Rather a waste of my time from your inaccuracy!
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 2 years agoDear MJR,
Sorry for the inconvenience my mistake has caused you. And thank you for your comment.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 2 years agoThanks for this great article!
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 3 years agoWhen I first tried this, it worked well. now it only displays the last save timestamp if i click on the cell.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 3 months agoyes same for me