How to insert last saved timestamp into worksheet cell in Excel?
In many cases, you may need to show the last saved date and time of the Excel file on worksheet in order to know when the file was updated recently. You can deal with this problem with the following two methods.
- Reuse Anything: Add the most used or complex formulas, charts and anything else to your favorites, and quickly reuse them in the future.
- More than 20 text features: Extract Number from Text String; Extract or Remove Part of Texts; Convert Numbers and Currencies to English Words.
- Merge Tools: Multiple Workbooks and Sheets into One; Merge Multiple Cells/Rows/Columns Without Losing Data; Merge Duplicate Rows and Sum.
- Split Tools: Split Data into Multiple Sheets Based on Value; One Workbook to Multiple Excel, PDF or CSV Files; One Column to Multiple Columns.
- Paste Skipping Hidden/Filtered Rows; Count And Sum by Background Color; Send Personalized Emails to Multiple Recipients in Bulk.
- Super Filter: Create advanced filter schemes and apply to any sheets; Sort by week, day, frequency and more; Filter by bold, formulas, comment...
- More than 300 powerful features; Works with Office 2007-2019 and 365; Supports all languages; Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization.
You can use the following user-defined function to insert the last saved timestamp of a workbook on a certain worksheet.
1. Press Alt + F11 keys simultaneously to open the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. In the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window, click Insert > Module. Then copy and paste the following VBA code into the Code window.
VBA code: Insert the last saved timestamp on worksheet
Function LastSavedTimeStamp() As Date LastSavedTimeStamp = ActiveWorkbook.BuiltinDocumentProperties("Last Save Time") End Function
3. Press Alt + Q keys to close the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window and return to the worksheet.
4. Select a blank cell you need to display the last saved timestamp of the workbook, enter formula =LastSavedTimeStamp() and press the Enter key, and a number will be displayed.
5. And then you need to format the number cell as date time format as below screenshot shown.
Now the last saved timestamp is displayed in the selected cell.
The Insert Workbook Information utility of Kutools for Excel help you quickly insert the last saved or modified timestamp not only in a specified cell, but also in header or footer as you need.
1. Select a blank cell for showing the last saved timestamp, then click Enterprise > Workbook > Insert Workbook Information. See screenshot:
2. In the Insert Workbook Information dialog box, select the Date modified option in the Information section, then select an option you need in the Insert at section (in this case, I select the range option), and finally click the OK button.
Then the last saved timestamp is showing in the worksheet.
Note: If you need to insert the last saved timestamp to the header or footer of current worksheet, please select the Header or Footer option.
Kutools for Excel includes more than 300 handy Excel tools. Free to try with no limitation in 60 days. Download the free trial now!
- How to get and insert the last modified user name in Excel?
- How to print sheet name or a list of sheet names in Excel?
You are guest ( Sign Up? )
or post as a guest, but your post won't be published automatically.
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 8 months agoThank you!
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 11 months agoThanks for the article. Worked perfect to me.
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 1 years agoBecause of the title I thought I was getting a date stamp for the worksheet, but after getting it to work was disappointed to see that it's actually for the workbook and not at all what I wanted. Rather a waste of my time from your inaccuracy!
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 2 years agoThanks for this great article!
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 2 years agoWhen I first tried this, it worked well. now it only displays the last save timestamp if i click on the cell.