How to eliminate repeated values (remove duplicates) in Excel?
For a list of data with repeated values, you may need to eliminate the repeated ones and keep only the unique values in the list. This article shows you two methods of eliminating repeated values (duplicates) from a list in Excel.
- Reuse Anything: Add the most used or complex formulas, charts and anything else to your favorites, and quickly reuse them in the future.
- More than 20 text features: Extract Number from Text String; Extract or Remove Part of Texts; Convert Numbers and Currencies to English Words.
- Merge Tools: Multiple Workbooks and Sheets into One; Merge Multiple Cells/Rows/Columns Without Losing Data; Merge Duplicate Rows and Sum.
- Split Tools: Split Data into Multiple Sheets Based on Value; One Workbook to Multiple Excel, PDF or CSV Files; One Column to Multiple Columns.
- Paste Skipping Hidden/Filtered Rows; Count And Sum by Background Color; Send Personalized Emails to Multiple Recipients in Bulk.
- Super Filter: Create advanced filter schemes and apply to any sheets; Sort by week, day, frequency and more; Filter by bold, formulas, comment...
- More than 300 powerful features; Works with Office 2007-2019 and 365; Supports all languages; Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization.
Supposing you have a fruit table as below screenshot shown, now you want to eliminate all repeated fruits from the Fruit column. Please do as follows.
1. Select the entire table, then click Data > Remove Duplicates. See screenshot:
2. In the Remove Duplicates dialog box, only check the column you want to remove duplicates based on (here I choose the Fruit column), then click the OK button.
3. Then a prompt box pops up to tell you how many duplicates are removed, please click the OK button.
Now all repeated values are eliminated from the specified column list, and only the unique ones remained.
The above method can only remove duplicates except the first one. If you want to remove all duplicates including the first one, or remove unique values from a list, you can try the Select Duplicate & Unique Cells utility of Kutools for Excel.
|Kutools for Excel : with more than 300 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 60 days.|
1. Select the list with the repeated values you want to eliminate, then click Kutools > Select > Select Duplicate & Unique Cells. See screenshot:
2. In the Select Duplicate & Unique Cells dialog box, if you only want to remove duplicates except the first one, please select the Duplicates (Except 1st one) option in the Rule section. Check the Select entire rows box, and then click the OK button. See screenshot:
1. If you don’t want to keep any duplicates in the list, please check the All duplicates (Including 1st one) option.
2. You can also remove unique values from the selected list with this utility as you need;
3. You can highlight the duplicates or unique values with this utility as well.
3. Then a dialog box pops up to tell you how many rows are selected, please click the OK button. And now right click on any selected row, click Delete from the right-clicking menu to eliminate the rows with repeated values.
|You can download and try the free trial of Kutools for Excel now!|