How to eliminate repeated values (remove duplicates) in Excel?
For a list of data with repeated values, you may need to eliminate the repeated ones and keep only the unique values in the list. This article shows you two methods of eliminating repeated values (duplicates) from a list in Excel.
Recommended Excel Productivity Tools
Supposing you have a fruit table as below screenshot shown, now you want to eliminate all repeated fruits from the Fruit column. Please do as follows.
1. Select the entire table, then click Data > Remove Duplicates. See screenshot:
2. In the Remove Duplicates dialog box, only check the column you want to remove duplicates based on (here I choose the Fruit column), then click the OK button.
3. Then a prompt box pops up to tell you how many duplicates are removed, please click the OK button.
Now all repeated values are eliminated from the specified column list, and only the unique ones remained.
The above method can only remove duplicates except the first one. If you want to remove all duplicates including the first one, or remove unique values from a list, you can try the Select Duplicate & Unique Cells utility of Kutools for Excel.
|Kutools for Excel : with more than 300 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 60 days.|
1. Select the list with the repeated values you want to eliminate, then click Kutools > Select > Select Duplicate & Unique Cells. See screenshot:
2. In the Select Duplicate & Unique Cells dialog box, if you only want to remove duplicates except the first one, please select the Duplicates (Except 1st one) option in the Rule section. Check the Select entire rows box, and then click the OK button. See screenshot:
1. If you don’t want to keep any duplicates in the list, please check the All duplicates (Including 1st one) option.
2. You can also remove unique values from the selected list with this utility as you need;
3. You can highlight the duplicates or unique values with this utility as well.
3. Then a dialog box pops up to tell you how many rows are selected, please click the OK button. And now right click on any selected row, click Delete from the right-clicking menu to eliminate the rows with repeated values.
|You can download and try the free trial of Kutools for Excel now!|