How to automatically resize the text box to fit the content in Excel?
The text box size is fixed after inserting it in a worksheet. So the size won’t adjust to fit the text you inserted or deleted. This article aims to show you methods of automatically resizing the text box to fit the content in Excel.
- Reuse Anything: Add the most used or complex formulas, charts and anything else to your favorites, and quickly reuse them in the future.
- More than 20 text features: Extract Number from Text String; Extract or Remove Part of Texts; Convert Numbers and Currencies to English Words.
- Merge Tools: Multiple Workbooks and Sheets into One; Merge Multiple Cells/Rows/Columns Without Losing Data; Merge Duplicate Rows and Sum.
- Split Tools: Split Data into Multiple Sheets Based on Value; One Workbook to Multiple Excel, PDF or CSV Files; One Column to Multiple Columns.
- Paste Skipping Hidden/Filtered Rows; Count And Sum by Background Color; Send Personalized Emails to Multiple Recipients in Bulk.
- Super Filter: Create advanced filter schemes and apply to any sheets; Sort by week, day, frequency and more; Filter by bold, formulas, comment...
- More than 300 powerful features; Works with Office 2007-2019 and 365; Supports all languages; Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization.
You can change the property of the text box as follows to make it automatically resize with the text you entered or deleted.
1. After inserting the text box, right click the border of the text box, and then click Size and Properties from the right-clicking menu. See screenshot:
2. You can see a Format Shape pane is displayed on the right side of the worksheet, under the Size and Properties tab, check the Resize shape to fit text box in the Text Box section, and then close the Format Shape pane. See screenshot:
From now on, the text box will resize to fit the content automatically.
Note: With this method, if there are multiple text boxes to be changed, you need to change the properties of the text boxes one by one.
For a worksheet which already has multiple text boxes, the following VBA code can help you to automatically resize them to fit the content at once.
1. Press Alt + F11 keys simultaneously to open the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. In the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window, click Insert > Module. Then copy and paste the below VBA code into the Module window.
VBA code: Auto resize all text boxes to fit the content in a worksheet
Sub TextBoxResizeTB() Dim xShape As Shape Dim xSht As Worksheet On Error Resume Next For Each xSht In ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets For Each xShape In xSht.Shapes If xShape.Type = 17 Then xShape.TextFrame2.AutoSize = msoAutoSizeShapeToFitText xShape.TextFrame2.WordWrap = True End If Next Next End Sub
3. Press the F5 key to run the code. Then you can see all text boxes in current worksheet are automatically resized to fit its content as below screenshot shown.
And these text boxes will resize automatically with the content you enter or delete in future use.