How to automatically resize the text box to fit the content in Excel?
The text box size is fixed after inserting it in a worksheet. So the size won’t adjust to fit the text you inserted or deleted. This article aims to show you methods of automatically resizing the text box to fit the content in Excel.
You can change the property of the text box as follows to make it automatically resize with the text you entered or deleted.
1. After inserting the text box, right click the border of the text box, and then click Size and Properties from the right-clicking menu. See screenshot:
2. You can see a Format Shape pane is displayed on the right side of the worksheet, under the Size and Properties tab, check the Resize shape to fit text box in the Text Box section, and then close the Format Shape pane. See screenshot:
From now on, the text box will resize to fit the content automatically.
Note: With this method, if there are multiple text boxes to be changed, you need to change the properties of the text boxes one by one.
Auto resize all text boxes to fit the content by VBA code
For a worksheet which already has multiple text boxes, the following VBA code can help you to automatically resize them to fit the content at once.
1. Press Alt + F11 keys simultaneously to open the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. In the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window, click Insert > Module. Then copy and paste the below VBA code into the Module window.
VBA code: Auto resize all text boxes to fit the content in a worksheet
Dim xShape As Shape
Dim xSht As Worksheet
On Error Resume Next
For Each xSht In ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets
For Each xShape In xSht.Shapes
If xShape.Type = 17 Then
xShape.TextFrame2.AutoSize = msoAutoSizeShapeToFitText
xShape.TextFrame2.WordWrap = True
3. Press the F5 key to run the code. Then you can see all text boxes in current worksheet are automatically resized to fit its content as below screenshot shown.
And these text boxes will resize automatically with the content you enter or delete in future use.
Select Duplicate or Unique Rows; Select Blank Rows (all cells are empty); Super Find and Fuzzy Find in Many Workbooks; Random Select...
Exact Copy Multiple Cells without changing formula reference; Auto Create References to Multiple Sheets; Insert Bullets, Check Boxes and more...
Extract Text, Add Text, Remove by Position, Remove Space; Create and Print Paging Subtotals; Convert Between Cells Content and Comments...
Super Filter (save and apply filter schemes to other sheets); Advanced Sort by month/week/day, frequency and more; Special Filter by bold, italic...
Combine Workbooks and WorkSheets; Merge Tables based on key columns; Split Data into Multiple Sheets; Batch Convert xls, xlsx and PDF...
More than 300 powerful features. Supports Office/Excel
2007-2019 and 365. Supports all languages. Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization. Full features
30-day free trial. 60-day money back guarantee.