How to automatically resize the text box to fit the content in Excel?
The text box size is fixed after inserting it in a worksheet. So the size won’t adjust to fit the text you inserted or deleted. This article aims to show you methods of automatically resizing the text box to fit the content in Excel.
You can change the property of the text box as follows to make it automatically resize with the text you entered or deleted.
1. After inserting the text box, right click the border of the text box, and then click Size and Properties from the right-clicking menu. See screenshot:
2. You can see a Format Shape pane is displayed on the right side of the worksheet, under the Size and Properties tab, check the Resize shape to fit text box in the Text Box section, and then close the Format Shape pane. See screenshot:
From now on, the text box will resize to fit the content automatically.
Note: With this method, if there are multiple text boxes to be changed, you need to change the properties of the text boxes one by one.
For a worksheet which already has multiple text boxes, the following VBA code can help you to automatically resize them to fit the content at once.
1. Press Alt + F11 keys simultaneously to open the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. In the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window, click Insert > Module. Then copy and paste the below VBA code into the Module window.
VBA code: Auto resize all text boxes to fit the content in a worksheet
Sub TextBoxResizeTB() Dim xShape As Shape Dim xSht As Worksheet On Error Resume Next For Each xSht In ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets For Each xShape In xSht.Shapes If xShape.Type = 17 Then xShape.TextFrame2.AutoSize = msoAutoSizeShapeToFitText xShape.TextFrame2.WordWrap = True End If Next Next End Sub
3. Press the F5 key to run the code. Then you can see all text boxes in current worksheet are automatically resized to fit its content as below screenshot shown.
And these text boxes will resize automatically with the content you enter or delete in future use.
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!