How to automatically resize the text box to fit the content in Excel?
The text box size is fixed after inserting it in a worksheet. So the size won’t adjust to fit the text you inserted or deleted. This article aims to show you methods of automatically resizing the text box to fit the content in Excel.
Excel Productivity Tools
Office Tab: Bring powerful tabs to Office (include Excel), just like Chrome, Safari, Firefox and Internet Explorer. Save you half the time, and reduce thousands of mouse clicks for you. 30-day Unlimited Free Trial
Kutools for Excel: Save 70% of your time and solve 80% Excel problems for you. 300+ advanced features designed for 1500+ work scenario, make Excel much easy and increase productivity immediately.60-day Unlimited Free Trial
You can change the property of the text box as follows to make it automatically resize with the text you entered or deleted.
1. After inserting the text box, right click the border of the text box, and then click Size and Properties from the right-clicking menu. See screenshot:
2. You can see a Format Shape pane is displayed on the right side of the worksheet, under the Size and Properties tab, check the Resize shape to fit text box in the Text Box section, and then close the Format Shape pane. See screenshot:
From now on, the text box will resize to fit the content automatically.
Note: With this method, if there are multiple text boxes to be changed, you need to change the properties of the text boxes one by one.
For a worksheet which already has multiple text boxes, the following VBA code can help you to automatically resize them to fit the content at once.
1. Press Alt + F11 keys simultaneously to open the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. In the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window, click Insert > Module. Then copy and paste the below VBA code into the Module window.
VBA code: Auto resize all text boxes to fit the content in a worksheet
Sub TextBoxResizeTB() Dim xShape As Shape Dim xSht As Worksheet On Error Resume Next For Each xSht In ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets For Each xShape In xSht.Shapes If xShape.Type = 17 Then xShape.TextFrame2.AutoSize = msoAutoSizeShapeToFitText xShape.TextFrame2.WordWrap = True End If Next Next End Sub
3. Press the F5 key to run the code. Then you can see all text boxes in current worksheet are automatically resized to fit its content as below screenshot shown.
And these text boxes will resize automatically with the content you enter or delete in future use.