How to restrict access to a certain worksheet in Excel?
In some cases, you don’t want a certain worksheet to be viewed by others as the data in this worksheet is important. Normally, many Excel users tend to hide the worksheet for restricting access by the Hide feature. But others can unhide this worksheet easily with the Unhide feature. This article will show you methods of restricting access to a certain worksheet in Excel.
- Reuse Anything: Add the most used or complex formulas, charts and anything else to your favorites, and quickly reuse them in the future.
- More than 20 text features: Extract Number from Text String; Extract or Remove Part of Texts; Convert Numbers and Currencies to English Words.
- Merge Tools: Multiple Workbooks and Sheets into One; Merge Multiple Cells/Rows/Columns Without Losing Data; Merge Duplicate Rows and Sum.
- Split Tools: Split Data into Multiple Sheets Based on Value; One Workbook to Multiple Excel, PDF or CSV Files; One Column to Multiple Columns.
- Paste Skipping Hidden/Filtered Rows; Count And Sum by Background Color; Send Personalized Emails to Multiple Recipients in Bulk.
- Super Filter: Create advanced filter schemes and apply to any sheets; Sort by week, day, frequency and more; Filter by bold, formulas, comment...
- More than 300 powerful features; Works with Office 2007-2019 and 365; Supports all languages; Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization.
Actually, you can restrict access to a certain worksheet with setting the worksheet as very hidden status.
1. Open the workbook and shift to the worksheet you will restrict access to, then right click the sheet tab and select View Code from the right-clicking menu.
2. Then the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window pops up, please go to the Properties pane. Then select 2 – xlSheetVeryHidden from the Visible drop-down list. See screenshot:
3. Close the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
Now the certain worksheet is very hidden now. And you can’t show it with the normal unhide feature in Excel.
Kutools for Excel provides a feature – Hide/Unhide Workbooks and Sheets to easily make a worksheet very hidden in a workbook. Please do as follows.
1. Click Kutools > Show / Hide > Hide/Unhide Workbooks and Sheets. See screenshot:
2. In the Hide/Unhide Workbooks and Sheets dialog box, you can see all opened workbooks are displayed in the Workbook windows box.
Please click to select the workbook which contains the worksheet you need to make it very hidden in the Workbook windows box. And in the Sheets box, click to select the certain sheet you will restrict access by others, then specify the VeryHidden option from the drop-down list. And finally close the dialog box. See screenshot:
Now the certain worksheet is very hidden immediately.
Note: with this utility, you can hide all sheets but certain one, or unhide all hidden sheets at once easily.
- How to restrict to paste values only (prevent formatting) in Excel?
- How to restrict value entry/input in a cell based on another cell value in Excel?