How to restrict access to a certain worksheet in Excel?
In some cases, you don’t want a certain worksheet to be viewed by others as the data in this worksheet is important. Normally, many Excel users tend to hide the worksheet for restricting access by the Hide feature. But others can unhide this worksheet easily with the Unhide feature. This article will show you methods of restricting access to a certain worksheet in Excel.
Excel Productivity Tools
Office Tab: Bring powerful tabs to Office (include Excel), just like Chrome, Safari, Firefox and Internet Explorer. Save you half the time, and reduce thousands of mouse clicks for you. 30-day Unlimited Free Trial
Kutools for Excel: Save 70% of your time and solve 80% Excel problems for you. 300+ advanced features designed for 1500+ work scenario, make Excel much easy and increase productivity immediately. 60-day Unlimited Free Trial
Actually, you can restrict access to a certain worksheet with setting the worksheet as very hidden status.
1. Open the workbook and shift to the worksheet you will restrict access to, then right click the sheet tab and select View Code from the right-clicking menu.
2. Then the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window pops up, please go to the Properties pane. Then select 2 – xlSheetVeryHidden from the Visible drop-down list. See screenshot:
3. Close the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
Now the certain worksheet is very hidden now. And you can’t show it with the normal unhide feature in Excel.
Kutools for Excel provides a feature – Hide/Unhide Workbooks and Sheets to easily make a worksheet very hidden in a workbook. Please do as follows.
1. Click Kutools > Show / Hide > Hide/Unhide Workbooks and Sheets. See screenshot:
2. In the Hide/Unhide Workbooks and Sheets dialog box, you can see all opened workbooks are displayed in the Workbook windows box.
Please click to select the workbook which contains the worksheet you need to make it very hidden in the Workbook windows box. And in the Sheets box, click to select the certain sheet you will restrict access by others, then specify the VeryHidden option from the drop-down list. And finally close the dialog box. See screenshot:
Now the certain worksheet is very hidden immediately.
Note: with this utility, you can hide all sheets but certain one, or unhide all hidden sheets at once easily.
- How to restrict to paste values only (prevent formatting) in Excel?
- How to restrict value entry/input in a cell based on another cell value in Excel?