How to calculate the correlation coefficient between two variables in Excel?
We usually use correlation coefficient (a value between -1 and 1) to display how strongly two variables are related to each other. In Excel, we also can use the CORREL function to find the correlation coefficient between two variables.
For example, there are two lists of data, and now I will calculate the correlation coefficient between these two variables.
Select a blank cell that you will put the calculation result, enter this formula =CORREL(A2:A7,B2:B7), and press Enter key to get the correlation coefficient. See screenshot:
In the formula, A2:A7 and B2:B7 are the two variable lists you want to compare.
you can insert a line chart to view the correlation coefficient visually. See screenshot:
Batch do Same Calculation on Cells
|In Excel, you may want to apply the same calculation to a range of cells, generally, you will create a formula, then drag fill handle over the cells which maybe a little troublesome if the range is large. Here, the Operation Tools in Kutools for Excel, can apply one calculation to selected cells once time.
Click to have 30-day free trial with full features of Kutools for Excel
With the Analysis Toolpak add-in in Excel, you can quickly generate correlation coefficients between two variables, please do as below:
1. If you have add the Data Analysis add-in to the Data group, please jump to step 3. Click File > Options, then in the Excel Options window, click Add-Ins from the left pane, and go to click Go button next to Excel Add-ins drop-down list.
2. In the Add-Ins dialog, check Analysis ToolPak, click OK to add this add-in to Data tab group.
3. Then click Data > Data Analysis, and in the Data Analysis dialog, select Correlation, then click OK.
4. Then the Correlation dialog, do as below operation:
1) Select the data range;
2) Check Columns or Rows option based on your data;
3) Check Labels in first row if you have labels in the data;
4) Check one option as you need in Output options secton.
5. Click OK. And the analysis result has been displayed in the range you specified.
Seconds to calculate current age based on given birthday date
|If you have a list of employees' birthday, how can you quickly calculate thier current ages for each other in Excel sheet? Here the Calculate age based on birth function in Kutools for Excel can quickly solve this problem whithout remembering the complex formula. Click for full-featured 30 days free trial!|
|Kutools for Excel: with more than 300 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 30 days.|
- Calculate percentage change or difference between two numbers in Excel
This article is talking about calculating percentage change or difference between two numbers in Excel.
- Calculate or Assign Letter Grade In Excel
To assign letter grade for each student based on their scores may be a common task for a teacher. For example, I have a grading scale defined where the score 0-59 = F, 60-69 = D, 70-79 = C, 80-89 = B, and 90-100 = A, see more.
- Calculate discount rate or price in Excel
When Christmas is coming, there must be many sale promotions in shopping malls. But if the different kinds of items have different discounts, how can you calculate the discount rates or prices of the different items?
- Count the number of days / workdays / weekends between two dates in Excel
May be, sometimes, you just only want to calculate the workdays between two dates, and sometime, you need to count the weekend days only between the two dates.
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!