How to quickly convert mm/dd/yyyy date format to yyyymmdd in Excel?
In Excel working, you might converted the date in yyyymmdd format to standard date format mm/dd/yyyy before, but have you ever tried to convert the date format mm/dd/yyyy back to the date string yyyymmdd as below screenshot shown? In this article, I will introduce the tricks on converting mm/dd/yyyy date format to yyyymmdd.
Recommended Productivity Tools for Excel/Office
To convert date format as you need, the Format Cells feature must be the first choice.
1. Select the dates you want to convert to yyyymmdd, and right click to show context menu, and choose Format Cells. See screenshot:
2. In the Format Cells dialog, under Number tab, select Custom from Category list, and type yyyymmdd into the textbox of Type in right section. See screenshot:
3. Click OK. Now the dates have been converted to date string. See screenshot:
You also can use a formula to convert the date forma mm/dd/yyyy to a string yyyymmdd as text.
Select a blank cell that you want to place the converted date string, and type this formula =TEXT(A1,"yyyymmdd"), drag auto fill handle down to apply this formula to cells. See screenshot:
In the formula, A1 is the date you use to convert, you can change it to meet your actual need.
Recommended Productivity Tools
Bring handy tabs to Excel and other Office software, just like Chrome, Firefox and new Internet Explorer.
Amazing! Increase your productivity in 5 minutes. Don't need any special skills, save two hours every day!
300 New Features for Excel, Make Excel Much Easy and Powerful:
- Merge Cell/Rows/Columns without Losing Data.
- Combine and Consolidate Multiple Sheets and Workbooks.
- Compare Ranges, Copy Multiple Ranges, Convert Text to Date, Unit and Currency Conversion.
- Count by Colors, Paging Subtotals, Advanced Sort and Super Filter,
- More Select/Insert/Delete/Text/Format/Link/Comment/Workbooks/Worksheets Tools...