How to allow merge cells within protected worksheet in Excel?
By default, a protected worksheet does not allow users to merge cells. However, you can merge cells within protected worksheet with VBA method as we provide in this article.
Please run the below VBA code to merge selected cells within protected worksheet in Excel.
1. Select cells you need to merge in the protected worksheet.
2. Press the Alt + F11 keys simultaneously to open the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
3. In the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window, click Insert > Module. Then copy and paste the below VBA code into the Code window.
VBA code: Allow merge cells within protected worksheet
Sub MyMergeCells() Application.ScreenUpdating = False ActiveSheet.Unprotect "123" Selection.Merge ActiveSheet.Protect "123" Application.ScreenUpdating = true End Sub
Note: In the code, number “123” is the password of the protected worksheet. Please change it as you need.
4. Press the F5 key to run the code. And click the OK button in the popping up Microsoft Excel dialog box. See screenshot:
Now the selected cells are merged immediately in the protected worksheet.
- How to allow edit objects in protected worksheet in Excel?
- How to allow external data refresh in protected worksheet in Excel?
- How to allow spell check in a protected worksheet in Excel?
- How to protect cell formatting but only allow data entry in Excel?
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Spreadsheets： Experience Efficiency Like Never Before with Kutools for Excel
Kutools for Excel boasts over 300 features, ensuring that what you need is just a click away...
Supports Office/Excel 2007-2021 & newer, including 365 | Available in 44 languages | Enjoy a full-featured 30-day free trial.
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!