How to find or get the cell reference of the previous active cell in Excel?
While working with Microsoft Excel, you may need to know which cell is the previous active cell in current worksheet for some purposes. This article provides a method to get the cell reference of the previous active cell in Excel.
- Reuse Anything: Add the most used or complex formulas, charts and anything else to your favorites, and quickly reuse them in the future.
- More than 20 text features: Extract Number from Text String; Extract or Remove Part of Texts; Convert Numbers and Currencies to English Words.
- Merge Tools: Multiple Workbooks and Sheets into One; Merge Multiple Cells/Rows/Columns Without Losing Data; Merge Duplicate Rows and Sum.
- Split Tools: Split Data into Multiple Sheets Based on Value; One Workbook to Multiple Excel, PDF or CSV Files; One Column to Multiple Columns.
- Paste Skipping Hidden/Filtered Rows; Count And Sum by Background Color; Send Personalized Emails to Multiple Recipients in Bulk.
- Super Filter: Create advanced filter schemes and apply to any sheets; Sort by week, day, frequency and more; Filter by bold, formulas, comment...
- More than 300 powerful features; Works with Office 2007-2019 and 365; Supports all languages; Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization.
Find or get the cell reference of the previous active cell with VBA code
You can do as follows to find or get the cell reference of the previous active cell in Excel.
1. Press the Alt + F11 keys simultaneously to open the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. In the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window, click Insert > Module. Then copy and paste below VBA code into the Code window. See screenshot:
VBA code: Find and get the cell reference of the previous active cell
Sub LastUsedCell() Application.ScreenUpdating = False Application.Volatile Application.Undo Application.Undo Application.ScreenUpdating = True End Sub
3. Press F5 key to run the code. Then you will locate in the address of the previous active cell in current worksheet immediately.
Note: You can get the cell reference of this cell in the Name box if you need.
- How to find position of first/last number in a text string in Excel?
- How to vlookup find the first, 2nd or nth match value in Excel?
- How to find the closest date to today on a list in Excel?