How to find the closest date to today on a list in Excel?
Supposing you have a list of date with today’s date mixed. For finding the closed date to today in this list, you may need to use formulas. There are two situations, one is finding the past closest date to today, and the other is finding the future closest date to today. In this article, we will show you how to deal with these two problems.
Recommended Productivity Tools for Excel
Office Tab: Bring powerful tabs to Office (include Excel), just like Chrome, Safari, Firefox and Internet Explorer. Save you half the time, and reduce thousands of mouse clicks for you. 30-day Unlimited Free Trial
Kutools for Excel: Save 71% of your time and solve 82% Excel problems for you. 300+ advanced tools designed for 1500+ work scenario, make Excel much easy and increase productivity immediately.60-day Unlimited Free Trial
As below screenshot shows, the today’s date is 1/29/2015, please do as follows to find the past closest to today’s date.
1. Select a blank cell, such as cell B2 to locate the result.
2. Copy and paste the formula =MAX(($A$2:$A$18<TODAY())*A2:A18) into the Formula Bar, and then press Ctrl + Shift + Enter keys simultaneously.
As the above screenshot shown, you can see the past closest date 1/26/2015 to today’s date is populated into cell B2.
In this section, we will show you how to find the future closest date to today in Excel.
1. Select the blank cell B2, copy and paste formula =MIN(IF(A2:A18>TODAY(),A2:A18)) into the Formula Bar, and then press Ctrl + Shift + Enter keys simultaneously. See screenshot:
Then you will get the future closest date to today in cell B2.
1. In the formulas, please change the range to your need;
2. If there is not date format displaying, please change the cell format to Date after calculating.
- How to find first or last Friday of every month in Excel?
- How to find lowest and highest 5 values in a list in Excel?
- How to find or check if a specific workbook is opened or not in Excel?
- How to find out if a cell is referenced in other cell in Excel?
- How to find position of first/last number in a text string in Excel?