How to find the closest date to today on a list in Excel?
Supposing you have a list of date with today’s date mixed. For finding the closed date to today in this list, you may need to use formulas. There are two situations, one is finding the past closest date to today, and the other is finding the future closest date to today. In this article, we will show you how to deal with these two problems.
- Reuse Anything: Add the most used or complex formulas, charts and anything else to your favorites, and quickly reuse them in the future.
- More than 20 text features: Extract Number from Text String; Extract or Remove Part of Texts; Convert Numbers and Currencies to English Words.
- Merge Tools: Multiple Workbooks and Sheets into One; Merge Multiple Cells/Rows/Columns Without Losing Data; Merge Duplicate Rows and Sum.
- Split Tools: Split Data into Multiple Sheets Based on Value; One Workbook to Multiple Excel, PDF or CSV Files; One Column to Multiple Columns.
- Paste Skipping Hidden/Filtered Rows; Count And Sum by Background Color; Send Personalized Emails to Multiple Recipients in Bulk.
- Super Filter: Create advanced filter schemes and apply to any sheets; Sort by week, day, frequency and more; Filter by bold, formulas, comment...
- More than 300 powerful features; Works with Office 2007-2019 and 365; Supports all languages; Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization.
As below screenshot shows, the today’s date is 1/29/2015, please do as follows to find the past closest to today’s date.
1. Select a blank cell, such as cell B2 to locate the result.
2. Copy and paste the formula =MAX(($A$2:$A$18<TODAY())*A2:A18) into the Formula Bar, and then press Ctrl + Shift + Enter keys simultaneously.
As the above screenshot shown, you can see the past closest date 1/26/2015 to today’s date is populated into cell B2.
In this section, we will show you how to find the future closest date to today in Excel.
1. Select the blank cell B2, copy and paste formula =MIN(IF(A2:A18>TODAY(),A2:A18)) into the Formula Bar, and then press Ctrl + Shift + Enter keys simultaneously. See screenshot:
Then you will get the future closest date to today in cell B2.
1. In the formulas, please change the range to your need;
2. If there is not date format displaying, please change the cell format to Date after calculating.
- How to find first or last Friday of every month in Excel?
- How to find lowest and highest 5 values in a list in Excel?
- How to find or check if a specific workbook is opened or not in Excel?
- How to find out if a cell is referenced in other cell in Excel?
- How to find position of first/last number in a text string in Excel?