How to determine and identify the background color index of cells in Excel?
When you receive a sheet with multiple colorful cells as below screenshot shown, in some cases, you may want to identify the background color index of these color cells. There is no built-in feature that can determine the color index of a cell, but, in this article, I introduce some VBA codes to solve this job in Excel quickly.
Do as following steps to determine the color of the cell by VBA.
1. Press Alt + F11 keys to enable the Microsoft Visual Basic for Application window.
2. Click Insert > Module to open a new Module and paste below VBA code to the blank script. See screenshot:
VBA: Get traditional hex code of cell
Function getRGB1(FCell As Range) As String 'UpdatebyExtendoffice20170714 Dim xColor As String xColor = CStr(FCell.Interior.Color) xColor = Right("000000" & Hex(xColor), 6) getRGB1 = Right(xColor, 2) & Mid(xColor, 3, 2) & Left(xColor, 2) End Function
3. Save the code and close the VBA window. Select a blank cell next to the colored cell, type this formula, =getRGB1(A16), then drag the autofill handle over the cells you want to use. See screenshot:
Tip: there are some other codes can identify the color index of cell.
1. VBA: Decimal value for each code
Function getRGB2(FCell As Range) As String 'UpdatebyExtendoffice20170714 Dim xColor As Long Dim R As Long, G As Long, B As Long xColor = FCell.Interior.Color R = xColor Mod 256 G = (xColor \ 256) Mod 256 B = (xColor \ 65536) Mod 256 getRGB2 = "R=" & R & ", G=" & G & ", B=" & B End Function
2. VBA: Decimal values
Function getRGB3(FCell As Range, Optional Opt As Integer = 0) As Long 'UpdatebyExtendoffice20170714 Dim xColor As Long Dim R As Long, G As Long, B As Long xColor = FCell.Interior.Color R = xColor Mod 256 G = (xColor \ 256) Mod 256 B = (xColor \ 65536) Mod 256 Select Case Opt Case 1 getRGB3 = R Case 2 getRGB3 = G Case 3 getRGB3 = B Case Else getRGB3 = xColor End Select End Function
quickly select duplicate or unique values in an Excel range
|In Excel sheet, if you have a range which includes some duplicate rows, you may need to select them or outstanding them, but how can quickly solve this job？If you have Kutools for Excel, you can use the Select Duplicate & Unique Cells utility to quickly select the duplicate ones or unique values in the range, or fill background and font color for the duplicates and unique values. Click for 30 days free trial!|
|Kutools for Excel: with more than 300 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 30 days.|
- How to change font color based on cell value in Excel?
- How to color duplicate values or duplicate rows in Excel?
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!