How to list all opening (currently running) applications in Excel?
Actually, you can list all opening applications which only display when pressing the Alt + Tab keys in your computer in Excel with running VBA code. Method in the article can help you.
Recommended Productivity Tools
Please do as follows to list all opening applications in Excel.
1. In an Excel workbook, please press the Alt + F11 keys simultaneously to open the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. In the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window, press Insert > Module. Then copy and paste VBA code into the Code window. See screenshot:
VBA code: List all opening applications in Excel
Private Declare PtrSafe Function apiGetClassName Lib "user32" Alias _ "GetClassNameA" (ByVal Hwnd As Long, _ ByVal lpClassname As String, _ ByVal nMaxCount As Long) As Long Private Declare PtrSafe Function apiGetDesktopWindow Lib "user32" Alias _ "GetDesktopWindow" () As Long Private Declare PtrSafe Function apiGetWindow Lib "user32" Alias _ "GetWindow" (ByVal Hwnd As Long, _ ByVal wCmd As Long) As Long Private Declare PtrSafe Function apiGetWindowLong Lib "user32" Alias _ "GetWindowLongA" (ByVal Hwnd As Long, ByVal _ nIndex As Long) As Long Private Declare PtrSafe Function apiGetWindowText Lib "user32" Alias _ "GetWindowTextA" (ByVal Hwnd As Long, ByVal _ lpString As String, ByVal aint As Long) As Long Private Const mcGWCHILD = 5 Private Const mcGWHWNDNEXT = 2 Private Const mcGWLSTYLE = (-16) Private Const mcWSVISIBLE = &H10000000 Private Const mconMAXLEN = 255 Sub ListName() Dim xRg As Range Dim xStr As String Dim xStrLen As Long Dim xHandle As Long Dim xHandleStr As String Dim xHandleLen As Long, xHandleStyle As Long On Error Resume Next Set xRg = Application.InputBox("Please select a range（single cell）：", "KuTools For Excel", ActiveWindow.RangeSelection.Address, , , , , 8) If xRg Is Nothing Then Exit Sub xRg(1).Activate xHandle = apiGetWindow(apiGetDesktopWindow(), mcGWCHILD) Do While xHandle <> 0 xStr = String$(mconMAXLEN - 1, 0) xStrLen = apiGetWindowText(xHandle, xStr, mconMAXLEN) If xStrLen > 0 Then xStr = Left$(xStr, xStrLen) xHandleStyle = apiGetWindowLong(xHandle, mcGWLSTYLE) If xHandleStyle And mcWSVISIBLE Then ActiveCell.Value = xStr ActiveCell.Offset(1, 0).Activate End If End If xHandle = apiGetWindow(xHandle, mcGWHWNDNEXT) Loop End Sub
3. Press the F5 key to run the code. In the popping up Kutools for Excel dialog box, please select a cell which you want to list all running applications in, and then click the OK button. See screenshot:
Now all opening applications are listed in the selected column immediately as below screenshot shown.
- How to list all matched instances of a value in Excel?
- How to list all days as date in a specified month in Excel?
Recommended Productivity Tools
Bring handy tabs to Excel and other Office software, just like Chrome, Firefox and new Internet Explorer.
Amazing! Increase your productivity in 5 minutes. Don't need any special skills, save two hours every day!
200 New Features for Excel, Make Excel Much Easy and Powerful:
- Merge Cell/Rows/Columns without Losing Data.
- Combine and Consolidate Multiple Sheets and Workbooks.
- Compare Ranges, Copy Multiple Ranges, Convert Text to Date, Unit and Currency Conversion.
- Count by Colors, Paging Subtotals, Advanced Sort and Super Filter,
- More Select/Insert/Delete/Text/Format/Link/Comment/Workbooks/Worksheets Tools...