How to use conditional formatting to create a Gantt chart in Excel?
The Gantt graph can describe the process of the program, but do you know how to use the Conditional Formatting feature to create a simple Gantt chart in Excel? In this article, I will introduce the steps on creating Gantt chart by conditional formatting.
Supposing your data list as below screenshot shown:
1. Select the cells which are in the date columns, D2:Z7, and click Home > Conditional Formatting > New Rule. See screenshot:
2. Then in the New Formatting Rule dialog, select Use a formula to determine which cells to format in the Select a Rule Type list, and type this formula =AND(D$1>=$B2, D$1<=$C2) into the Format values where this formula is true textbox, and click Format. Then in the Format Cells dialog, enable the Fill tab, and select one color you want to use for highlighting. See screenshot:
In the formula, D1 is the first cells which in the date columns, B2 is the first start date in Start Date column, and C2 is the first end date in the End Date column.
3. Click OK > OK, the Gantt chart has been displayed.
The Gantt Chart tool in the Charts groups of Kutools for Excel which can help you quickly create a standard Gantt chart in Excel.
|Kutools for Excel, with more than 300 handy functions, makes your jobs more easier.|
After free installing Kutools for Excel, please do as below:
1. Click Kutools > Charts > Point in Time > Gantt Chart.
2. In the Gantt Chart dialog, do as below:
1) Choose the task (project) names in the Task Name text box;
2) Select the cells contain start dates in Start Date/Time textbox;
3) Select the cells contain end dates or duration days to the End Date/Time or Duration textboxes as you need. See screenshot:
3. Click Ok, a dialog pops out to remind you a hidden sheet will be created as well to place the data. Click Yes, the Gantt chart has been created.
Tip：In the first time using, you can click the Example button to realize how this tool work.
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!