How to insert columns left to a table in Excel?
As we know, when we add data below or right to a table, the row below the table or column right to the table will be added into the table automatically. However, when we insert a column left to a table, the column won’t be added into the table. Here, this article will introduce two solutions to insert columns left to a table in Excel.
Insert columns left to a table by Table Columns to the Left feature
You can apply the Table Columns to the Left feature to insert columns left to the active column in the table easily.
Select any cell in the first column of the specified table, right click, and select Insert > Table Columns to the Left. See screenshot:
Now you can see a blank column is added left to the active table. See screenshot:
Insert columns left to a table by Resize Table feature
If there are blank columns before the table, or you have inserted columns before the table as below screenshot shown, you can apply the Resize Table feature to include the columns left to the table.
1. Select any cell in the table to activate the Table Tools, and then click Design > Resize Table. See screenshot:
2. In the popping out Resize Table dialog box, please select new data range for the table, and click the OK button.
In my case, I select the original table range plus two more columns before the table. See screenshot:
Now you can see two blank columns are added left to the active table. See screenshot:
The Best Office Productivity Tools
Kutools for Excel Solves Most of Your Problems, and Increases Your Productivity by
- Reuse: Quickly insert complex formulas, charts and anything that you have used before; Encrypt Cells with password; Create Mailing List and send emails...
- Super Formula Bar (easily edit multiple lines of text and formula); Reading Layout (easily read and edit large numbers of cells); Paste to Filtered Range...
- Merge Cells/Rows/Columns without losing Data; Split Cells Content; Combine Duplicate Rows/Columns... Prevent Duplicate Cells; Compare Ranges...
- Select Duplicate or Unique Rows; Select Blank Rows (all cells are empty); Super Find and Fuzzy Find in Many Workbooks; Random Select...
- Exact Copy Multiple Cells without changing formula reference; Auto Create References to Multiple Sheets; Insert Bullets, Check Boxes and more...
- Extract Text, Add Text, Remove by Position, Remove Space; Create and Print Paging Subtotals; Convert Between Cells Content and Comments...
- Super Filter (save and apply filter schemes to other sheets); Advanced Sort by month/week/day, frequency and more; Special Filter by bold, italic...
- Combine Workbooks and WorkSheets; Merge Tables based on key columns; Split Data into Multiple Sheets; Batch Convert xls, xlsx and PDF...
- More than
300 powerful features. Supports Office/Excel
2007-2019 and 365. Supports all languages. Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization. Full features
30-day free trial. 60-day money back guarantee.
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by
50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!