How to rearrange text in a cell in Excel?
Supposing you got a spreadsheet with a long list names which all format as “Last name First name”, and now you need to rearrange all names to “First name, Last name”. How to achieve it? This article will introduce three methods to help you solve the problem.
- Reuse Anything: Add the most used or complex formulas, charts and anything else to your favorites, and quickly reuse them in the future.
- More than 20 text features: Extract Number from Text String; Extract or Remove Part of Texts; Convert Numbers and Currencies to English Words.
- Merge Tools: Multiple Workbooks and Sheets into One; Merge Multiple Cells/Rows/Columns Without Losing Data; Merge Duplicate Rows and Sum.
- Split Tools: Split Data into Multiple Sheets Based on Value; One Workbook to Multiple Excel, PDF or CSV Files; One Column to Multiple Columns.
- Paste Skipping Hidden/Filtered Rows; Count And Sum by Background Color; Send Personalized Emails to Multiple Recipients in Bulk.
- Super Filter: Create advanced filter schemes and apply to any sheets; Sort by week, day, frequency and more; Filter by bold, formulas, comment...
- More than 300 powerful features; Works with Office 2007-2019 and 365; Supports all languages; Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization.
The below formula can help you flip last name and first name in a cell in Excel. Please do as follows.
1. Select a blank cell to place the rearranged text, enter formula =TRIM(MID(b2,SEARCH(" ",b2)+1,250))&" "&LEFT(b2,SEARCH(" ",b2)-1) into the Formula Bar and then press the Enter key. See screenshot:
Note: in the formula, B2 is the cell contains the name you will rearrange. Please change it based on your need.
2. Keep selecting the result cell, drag the Fill Handle down to flip all names as below screenshot shown.
Besides, you can apply below VBA code to flip all names in a list at once in Excel. Please do as follows.
1. Press the Alt + F11 keys to open the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. In the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window, click Insert > Module. Then copy below VAB code into the Module window.
VBA code: Rearrange text in a cell
Sub RearrangeText() 'Updated by Extendoffice 20180503 Dim xRg As Range, yRg As Range Dim LastRow As Long, i As Long Dim strTxt As String, strFs As String Dim strLs As String, N As Integer On Error Resume Next Set xRg = Application.InputBox(Prompt:="Range Selection:", _ Title:="Kutools for excel", Type:=8) For Each yRg In xRg On Error Resume Next strTxt = yRg.Value Trim (strTxt) N = InStr(strTxt, " ") strLs = Left(strTxt, N - 1) strFs = Right(strTxt, Len(strTxt) - N) yRg.Value = strFs & " " & strLs Next End Sub
3. Then a Kutools for Excel dialog box pops up, please select the name list you want to rearrange, and then click the OK button. See screenshot:
Then all “Last name First name” in selected list are flipped immediately.
This section will introduce the Reverse Text Order utility of Kutools for Excel to help you rearrange text in a cell.
1. Select the name list you will flip the “Last name First name”, then click Kutools > Text > Reverse Text Order. See screenshot:
2. In the Reverse Text dialog box, select the Space option and then click the OK button. See screenshot:
Then all names in selected list are rearranged at once.
- How to swap or reverse day and month of date in Excel?
- How to swap or switch text around within one cell in Excel?