How to rearrange text in a cell in Excel?
Supposing you got a spreadsheet with a long list names which all format as “Last name First name”, and now you need to rearrange all names to “First name, Last name”. How to achieve it? This article will introduce three methods to help you solve the problem.
The below formula can help you flip last name and first name in a cell in Excel. Please do as follows.
1. Select a blank cell to output the rearranged text, enter the below formula into it and then press the Enter key.
Note: in the formula, B2 is the cell contains the name you will rearrange. Please change it based on your need.
2. Keep selecting the result cell, drag the Fill Handle down to flip all names as below screenshot shown.
Easily rearrange text in a cell in Excel:
Besides, you can apply below VBA code to flip all names in a list at once in Excel. Please do as follows.
1. Press the Alt + F11 keys to open the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. In the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window, click Insert > Module. Then copy below VAB code into the Module window.
VBA code: Rearrange text in a cell
Sub RearrangeText() 'Updated by Extendoffice 20180503 Dim xRg As Range, yRg As Range Dim LastRow As Long, i As Long Dim strTxt As String, strFs As String Dim strLs As String, N As Integer On Error Resume Next Set xRg = Application.InputBox(Prompt:="Range Selection:", _ Title:="Kutools for excel", Type:=8) For Each yRg In xRg On Error Resume Next strTxt = yRg.Value Trim (strTxt) N = InStr(strTxt, " ") strLs = Left(strTxt, N - 1) strFs = Right(strTxt, Len(strTxt) - N) yRg.Value = strFs & " " & strLs Next End Sub
3. Then a Kutools for Excel dialog box pops up, please select the name list you want to rearrange, and then click the OK button. See screenshot:
Then all “Last name First name” in selected list are flipped immediately.
Before applying Kutools for Excel, please download and install it firstly.
1. Select the name list you will flip the “Last name First name”, then click Kutools > Text > Reverse Text Order. See screenshot:
2. In the Reverse Text dialog box, select the Space option and then click the OK button. See screenshot:
Then all names in selected list are rearranged at once.
- How to swap or reverse day and month of date in Excel?
- How to swap or switch text around within one cell in Excel?
You are guest
or post as a guest, but your post won't be published automatically.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 1 years agoI have text that needs swapping within a longer line,E.G "The Quick Brown Fox Jumps Over The Dog Lazy" needs to read "The Quick Brown Fox Jumps Over The Lazy Dog" - would this work for swapping only the last two words?
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 1 years agoI have 5 names separated by a comma inside of one cell. In a 2nd cell, I have the same names separated by commas sorted in a different order. Can Kutools allow you to sort the 5 items within the same cell alphabetically?
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 1 years agoHi Angel,
Kutools can't handle this kind of operation yet.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 2 years agoWhat do you do with three names?
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 2 years agoHi,
The methods also work for three names.