How to rearrange text in a cell in Excel?
Supposing you got a spreadsheet with a long list names which all format as “Last name First name”, and now you need to rearrange all names to “First name, Last name”. How to achieve it? This article will introduce three methods to help you solve the problem.
The below formula can help you flip last name and first name in a cell in Excel. Please do as follows.
1. Select a blank cell to output the rearranged text, enter the below formula into it and then press the Enter key.
Note: in the formula, B2 is the cell contains the name you will rearrange. Please change it based on your need.
2. Keep selecting the result cell, drag the Fill Handle down to flip all names as below screenshot shown.
Easily rearrange text in a cell in Excel:
Besides, you can apply below VBA code to flip all names in a list at once in Excel. Please do as follows.
1. Press the Alt + F11 keys to open the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. In the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window, click Insert > Module. Then copy below VAB code into the Module window.
VBA code: Rearrange text in a cell
Sub RearrangeText() 'Updated by Extendoffice 20180503 Dim xRg As Range, yRg As Range Dim LastRow As Long, i As Long Dim strTxt As String, strFs As String Dim strLs As String, N As Integer On Error Resume Next Set xRg = Application.InputBox(Prompt:="Range Selection:", _ Title:="Kutools for excel", Type:=8) For Each yRg In xRg On Error Resume Next strTxt = yRg.Value Trim (strTxt) N = InStr(strTxt, " ") strLs = Left(strTxt, N - 1) strFs = Right(strTxt, Len(strTxt) - N) yRg.Value = strFs & " " & strLs Next End Sub
3. Then a Kutools for Excel dialog box pops up, please select the name list you want to rearrange, and then click the OK button. See screenshot:
Then all “Last name First name” in selected list are flipped immediately.
Before applying Kutools for Excel, please download and install it firstly.
1. Select the name list you will flip the “Last name First name”, then click Kutools > Text > Reverse Text Order. See screenshot:
2. In the Reverse Text dialog box, select the Space option and then click the OK button. See screenshot:
Then all names in selected list are rearranged at once.
- How to swap or reverse day and month of date in Excel?
- How to swap or switch text around within one cell in Excel?
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!