How to sort dates in chronological order in Excel?
Supposing you have a date list mixed with multiple date formats as below screenshot shown. In this case, Excel can not sort them correctly by using the Sort function. But, you can convert all different date formats to a specified date format such as mm/dd/yyy first, and then sort them in chronological order, how can you achieve it? This article will show you a method to deal with it.
Sort dates in chronological order in Excel
Sort dates in chronological order in Excel.
Here we introduce the Convert to Date utility of Kutools for Excel to help you convert all dates to mm/dd/yyy date format in bulk, and then sort them in chronological order in Excel. Please do as follows.
Before applying Kutools for Excel, please download and install it firstly.
1. Select the date list, click Kutools > Content > Convert to Date.
2. Then a Convert to Date dialog box is opening, and dates in the selected list are converted to mm/dd/yyyy at the same time. Please close the Convert to Date dialog box. See screenshot:
3. Keep selecting the date list, click Data > Sort Oldest to Newest or Newest to Oldest as you need to sort dates in chronological order. See screenshot:
If you want to have a free trial ( 30-day) of this utility, please click to download it, and then go to apply the operation according above steps.
The Best Office Productivity Tools
Kutools for Excel Solves Most of Your Problems, and Increases Your Productivity by 80%
- Reuse: Quickly insert complex formulas, charts and anything that you have used before; Encrypt Cells with password; Create Mailing List and send emails...
- Super Formula Bar (easily edit multiple lines of text and formula); Reading Layout (easily read and edit large numbers of cells); Paste to Filtered Range...
- Merge Cells/Rows/Columns without losing Data; Split Cells Content; Combine Duplicate Rows/Columns... Prevent Duplicate Cells; Compare Ranges...
- Select Duplicate or Unique Rows; Select Blank Rows (all cells are empty); Super Find and Fuzzy Find in Many Workbooks; Random Select...
- Exact Copy Multiple Cells without changing formula reference; Auto Create References to Multiple Sheets; Insert Bullets, Check Boxes and more...
- Extract Text, Add Text, Remove by Position, Remove Space; Create and Print Paging Subtotals; Convert Between Cells Content and Comments...
- Super Filter (save and apply filter schemes to other sheets); Advanced Sort by month/week/day, frequency and more; Special Filter by bold, italic...
- Combine Workbooks and WorkSheets; Merge Tables based on key columns; Split Data into Multiple Sheets; Batch Convert xls, xlsx and PDF...
- More than 300 powerful features. Supports Office/Excel
2007-2019 and 365. Supports all languages. Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization. Full features
30-day free trial. 60-day money back guarantee.
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!