How to remove duplicate rows in Excel ?
Most of you may meet a difficulty that there are many duplicate rows in your worksheet, and you need to remove them and just keep the unique rows. In this case, how can you get the duplicate rows removed quickly? This article will introduce some easy ways to remove duplicate rows in Excel for you.
Recommended Productivity ToolsOffice Tab: Bring handy tabs to Excel and other Office software, just like Chrome, Firefox and new Internet Explorer.
Kutools for Excel: 200 new features for Excel, make Excel much easy and powerful, increase productivity immediately.
Supposing you have the following range which contains some duplicate rows, to remove duplicate rows from a worksheet in Excel, you can according to following steps:
1. Select the range you want to remove duplicate rows. If you want to delete all duplicate rows in the worksheet, just hold down Ctrl + A key to select the entire sheet.
2. On Data tab, click Remove Duplicates in the Data Tools group.
3. In the Remove Duplicates dialog box, leave all the checkboxes checked under Columns list box, and if your data contains headers, please check My data has headers option. See screenshot:
4. Then click OK, a prompt box will pop out to tell you the removing result, and all identical rows are removed except for the first identical row. See screenshot:
Note: With this function, you can also remove rows with the same values in certain columns. To do this, you just need to check the columns that you want to remove the duplicate values in the Remove Duplicates dialog box in step 3.
If you have Kutools for Excel, with its Select Duplicate & Unique Cells utility, you can select the duplicate rows first, and then delete them at once.
If you have installed Kutools for Excel, please do as following steps:
1. Select the range that you want to remove the duplicate rows.
2. Click Kutools > Select Tools > Select Duplicate & Unique Cells, see screenshot:
3. In the Select Duplicate & Unique Cells dialog box, select Duplicates (Except 1 st one) or All duplicates (Including 1 st one) as you need. And then check Select entire rows option. See screenshot:
4. Then click OK, all the duplicate rows are selected as following screenshots:
|Select duplicate rows except first one||Select duplicate rows including first one|
5. And then put the cursor to the selected row, right click and choose Delete from the context menu, see screenshot:
6. And you will get the following results:
|Remove identical rows except first one||Remove identical rows including first one|
Recommended Productivity Tools
Bring handy tabs to Excel and other Office software, just like Chrome, Firefox and new Internet Explorer.
Amazing! Increase your productivity in 5 minutes. Don't need any special skills, save two hours every day!
200 New Features for Excel, Make Excel Much Easy and Powerful:
- Merge Cell/Rows/Columns without Losing Data.
- Combine and Consolidate Multiple Sheets and Workbooks.
- Compare Ranges, Copy Multiple Ranges, Convert Text to Date, Unit and Currency Conversion.
- Count by Colors, Paging Subtotals, Advanced Sort and Super Filter,
- More Select/Insert/Delete/Text/Format/Link/Comment/Workbooks/Worksheets Tools...