How to remove date format in Excel?
In some cases, you may have added special date formatting for cells in Excel. Some users try to clear the dates with special formatting and reenter, but the new entered dates are still in the format. Here, this article will introduce several easy ways to remove date formatting in Excel.
Remove date format from cells by Clear Formats feature
The Clear Formats feature is the most common way to remove format from cells in Excel. Of course, it supports to remove all kinds of date formats.
Select the date cells that you will remove date formats from, and click Home > Clear > Clear Formats. See screenshot:
Now you will see all kinds of date formats are removed, and dates are converted to 5-digit numbers in bulk. See screenshot:
Note: The Clear Formats feature will remove all cell formats, including number formats (percentage, currency, time, etc.), alignment formats (indent, wrap text, merge cell, etc.), font formats (bold, font color, font size, etc.), borders, fill color, etc.
Remove date format from cells by General Number Format feature
If you need to remove date format only from cells, but remain the other cell formats such as font size, fill color, borders, etc., you can try this method.
Select the cells that you will remove date formats from, and click Home > Number Format > General. See screenshot:
Now only the date formats are removed from the selection, and other cell formats are remained.
Kutools for Excel Solves Most of Your Problems, and Increases Your Productivity by
- Reuse: Quickly insert complex formulas, charts and anything that you have used before; Encrypt Cells with password; Create Mailing List and send emails...
- Super Formula Bar (easily edit multiple lines of text and formula); Reading Layout (easily read and edit large numbers of cells); Paste to Filtered Range...
- Merge Cells/Rows/Columns without losing Data; Split Cells Content; Combine Duplicate Rows/Columns... Prevent Duplicate Cells; Compare Ranges...
- Select Duplicate or Unique Rows; Select Blank Rows (all cells are empty); Super Find and Fuzzy Find in Many Workbooks; Random Select...
- Exact Copy Multiple Cells without changing formula reference; Auto Create References to Multiple Sheets; Insert Bullets, Check Boxes and more...
- Extract Text, Add Text, Remove by Position, Remove Space; Create and Print Paging Subtotals; Convert Between Cells Content and Comments...
- Super Filter (save and apply filter schemes to other sheets); Advanced Sort by month/week/day, frequency and more; Special Filter by bold, italic...
- Combine Workbooks and WorkSheets; Merge Tables based on key columns; Split Data into Multiple Sheets; Batch Convert xls, xlsx and PDF...
- More than
300 powerful features. Supports Office/Excel
2007-2019 and 365. Supports all languages. Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization. Full features
30-day free trial.
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by
50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!