How to merge cells (combine cells contents) in Excel without losing data?
We may combine cells and their contents in Microsoft Excel frequently. However, do you find out the easiest way to combine cell contents? Here we will talk about how to combine cell contents in Excel easily and quickly.
Recommended Productivity Tools
The following VBA code can help you to combine multiple cells into one cell, and you can apply the code with following steps:
1. Click Developer > Visual Basic, a new Microsoft Visual Basic for applications window will be displayed, click Insert > Module, and input the following code into the Module:
Sub MergeOneCell() 'Updateby20140128 Dim Rng As Range Dim WorkRng As Range Dim Sigh As String On Error Resume Next xTitleId = "KutoolsforExcel" Set WorkRng = Application.Selection Set WorkRng = Application.InputBox("Range", xTitleId, WorkRng.Address, Type:=8) Sigh = Application.InputBox("Symbol merge", xTitleId, "", Type:=2) xOut = "" Application.DisplayAlerts = False For Each Rng In WorkRng xOut = xOut & Rng.Value & Sigh Next With WorkRng .Merge .Value = VBA.Left(xOut, VBA.Len(xOut) - 1) End With Application.DisplayAlerts = True End Sub
2. Then click button to execute the code. A dialog pops up for you to select a range to work with the VBA. See screenshots:
3. Click Ok, another dialog is displayed for you to specify the seperator. See screenshot:
4. Click Ok, then the cell contents in the selected range are combined into a cell. See screenshot:
If you have Kutools for Excel installed, you can combine cell contents of multiple columns or rows conveniently without using formulas.
|Kutools for Excel : with more than 120 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 60 days.|
1. Select the cells that you want to merge the data. And apply this utility by clicking Kutools > Combine.
2. In the Combine Columns or Rows dialog box, specify the options that you need. See screenshot:
- (1.) Select Combine into single cell under To combine selected cells according to following options;
- (2.) Specify a separator for the combined data. You can separated each content with space, nothing, semicolon, or specific text. And you can also display the combined content in a new line.
3. Then click OK or Apply, all of the data in multiple cells have been merged into one cell. See screenshot:
The Combine feature of Kutools for Excel can be much more helpful. Know more about the Combine feature ...
Recommended Productivity Tools
Bring handy tabs to Excel and other Office software, just like Chrome, Firefox and new Internet Explorer.
Amazing! Increase your productivity in 5 minutes. Don't need any special skills, save two hours every day!
200 New Features for Excel, Make Excel Much Easy and Powerful:
- Merge Cell/Rows/Columns without Losing Data.
- Combine and Consolidate Multiple Sheets and Workbooks.
- Compare Ranges, Copy Multiple Ranges, Convert Text to Date, Unit and Currency Conversion.
- Count by Colors, Paging Subtotals, Advanced Sort and Super Filter,
- More Select/Insert/Delete/Text/Format/Link/Comment/Workbooks/Worksheets Tools...