How to format text as subscript in Excel 2007/2010?
There is no subscript button for you to quickly format text as subscript in Excel 2007/2010 as you can easily format a letter as subscript in Word with the subscript button. And it may be a little hard to format text as subscript in Excel 2007/2010. This article talks about how to format text as subscripts in Microsoft Excel easily.
If you want to format text as subscript in Microsoft Excel 2007/2010, you need to check the Subscript option in the Format Cells dialog box with the following steps:
- Step 1: select a cell, range, text or characters in a cell;
- Step 2: click the launcher button in the Font group under Home tab to open the Format Cells dialog box;
- Step 3: go to Effects section, and check the Subscript option;
- Step 4: Click OK. See screenshot (Fig.1).
You can also open the Format Cells dialog box with holding down Ctrl + Shift + F keys, or open it with clicking Format Cells command item from context menu.
Fig. 1 : Format Cells dialog box
1. If the selected cell contains a formula, you can only format the whole cell content as superscript, but not part of numbers or characters in the cell.
2. If the selected cell only contains a value, you can't format the numbers as superscript.
The Kutools for Excel's Superscript / Subscript tool makes it easy to format text as a superscript or subscript in a cell. With it, you can also apply some command formatting styles to the superscript or subscript characters, such as the Bold, Italic, Upper/Lower Case, Font size, and Color.
Step 1: select a cell, and click the Superscript / Subscript button under Kutools tab, see screenshot (Fig. 2);
Fig. 2 : Superscript / Subscript button
Step 2: select the characters that you need to format as subscript, and check the Subscript option, see screenshot (Fig. 3);
Fig. 3 : Superscript / Subscript Formatting dialog box
Step 3: if you want to format other characters as subscript, redo Step 2, and click OK.
This tool will format characters as subscripts in one cell one by one. And you can format many characters in selected cell as subscript without closing the dialog box. In addition, you can also apply other format style: bold, italic, upper case, font size, and color, etc.
1. You must select a cell with content before applying this Superscript / Subscript tool;
2. If the selected cell contains a formula, this tool is not available.
3. If the selected cell only contains a value, you will be requested to convert value to text; otherwise, you can't format the numbers or characters in the active cell as subscript.
Kutools for Excel includes more than 80 handy Excel tools. Free to try with no limitation in 30 days. Get it Now.
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!