How to format text as superscripts in Excel 2007/2010?
We may need to format text or characters as superscript when we make notes or enter equations in Microsoft Excel 2007/2010. This article focuses on how to format the all characters in a cell or part of a cell as superscript.
Recommended Productivity ToolsOffice Tab: Bring handy tabs to Excel and other Office software, just like Chrome, Firefox and new Internet Explorer.
Kutools for Excel: 200 new features for Excel, make Excel much easy and powerful, increase productivity immediately.
There is no superscript button in Excel 2007/2010 Ribbon as that in Microsoft Word. If we need to format characters as superscripts, we should open the Format Cells dialog box:
- Step 1: select characters in one cell or cell range that you want to format as superscript;
- Step 2: click the launcher button in the Font group under the Home tab, see screenshot (Fig. 1);
Fig. 1 : Launcher button in Font group
- Step 3: then you get into the Format Cells dialog box, and go to the Effects section;
- Step 4: check the Superscript option, see screenshot (Fig. 2);
- Step 5: Click OK.
You can also open the Format Cells dialog box with holding down the Ctrl + Shift + F keys together.
Fig. 2 : Format Cells dialog box
1. If the selected cell contains a formula, you can only format the whole cell content as superscript, but not part of numbers or characters.
2. If the selected cell only contains a value, you can't format the numbers as superscript.
Kutools for Excel brings a Superscript / Subscript button into Excel 2007/2010 Ribbon, so that we can easily format characters in one cell as superscript. See screenshot (Fig. 3).
Fig. 3 : Superscript / Subscript button
Step 1: select one cell, and click the Superscript / Subscript button under Kutools tab;
Step 2: select one character, and check the Superscript option, see screenshot (Fig. 4);
Step 3: if you need to format other characters as superscripts, redo the Step 2. At the end click OK button to save settings.
Fig. 4 : Superscript / Subscript Formatting dialog box
This tool will format characters as superscripts in one cell one by one. And you can format many characters in selected cell without closing the dialog box. In addition, you can also apply other format style: bold, italic, upper case, font size, and color, etc.
1. You must select a cell with content before applying this Superscript / Subscript tool;
2. If the selected cell contains a formula, this tool is not available.
3. If the selected cell only contains a value, you will be requested to convert value to text; otherwise, you can't format the numbers or characters in the active cell as superscript.
The Kutools for Excel's Superscript / Subscript tool can help us easily format text as a superscript or subscript in a cell. And it also supports to apply the Bold, Italic, Upper/Lower Case, Font size, and Color for selected characters.
Kutools for Excel includes more than 80 handy Excel tools. Free to try with no limitation in 30 days. Get it Now.
Recommended Productivity Tools
Bring handy tabs to Excel and other Office software, just like Chrome, Firefox and new Internet Explorer.
Amazing! Increase your productivity in 5 minutes. Don't need any special skills, save two hours every day!
200 New Features for Excel, Make Excel Much Easy and Powerful:
- Merge Cell/Rows/Columns without Losing Data.
- Combine and Consolidate Multiple Sheets and Workbooks.
- Compare Ranges, Copy Multiple Ranges, Convert Text to Date, Unit and Currency Conversion.
- Count by Colors, Paging Subtotals, Advanced Sort and Super Filter,
- More Select/Insert/Delete/Text/Format/Link/Comment/Workbooks/Worksheets Tools...