How to fill blank cells with value above / below / left / right in Excel?
When we set up data in Excel, we always leave a blank cell if the data for that cell is the same as the cell above. For example, I have a worksheet such as the left screenshot shown:
This form looks neater and nicer if there is just one header row instead of lots of repeated rows. But this also can cause some problems, we can’t use such features as Excel SUBTOTLES or Excel Pivot Tables. In this case, we need to fill the blank cells. Here are some tricks to fill blank cells with value above in Excel.
With this method, please do as the following steps:
1. Select the range that contains blank cells you need to fill.
2. Click Home > Find & Select > Go To Special…, and a Go To Special dialog box will appear, then check Blanks option. See screenshot:
3. Click OK, and all of the blank cells have been selected. Then input the formula “=A2 ” into active cell A3 without changing the selection. This cell reference can be changed as you need. See screenshot:
4. Press Ctrl + Enter, Excel will copy the respective formula to all blank cells. See screenshot:
5. At this point, the filled contents are formulas, and we need to convert the formals to values. Then select the whole range, copy it, and then press Ctrl + Alt + V to active the Paste Special… dialog box. Then select Values option from Paste, and select None option from Operation. See screenshot:
6. Then click OK. And all of the formulas have been converted to values.
With the help of Kutools for Excel, you can fill the blank cells with value above, belpw, left or right quickly and conveniently.
|Kutools for Excel : with more than 300 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 30 days.|
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as follows:
1. Select the range that you want to fill the blank cells. And click Kutools > Insert > Fill Blank Cells. See screenshot:
2. In the Fill Blank Cells dialog box, Click Based on values from Fill with, and check Down from Options. See screenshot:
3. Then click OK or Apply. And all of the blank cells have been filled with the value above. See screenshots:
The Fill Blank Cells is a multifunctional tool not only can fill blank cells with value above, but also can fill blank cells with specific value or 0 as you need.
1. Select the range that you want to fill the blank cells with a specific value.
2. Apply this feature by clicking Kutools > Insert > Fill Blank Cells, in the Fill Blank Cells dialog box, select Fixed value under the Fill with section, and then enter the value that you want to fill the blanks into the Filled value text box, see screenshot:
3. And then click Ok or Apply button, the specific value will be filled into the blank cells at once. See screenshots:
Note:This utility also can fill blank cells based on linear values, from top to bottom, or left to right.
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!