How to import a text file or worksheet in Excel?
Sometimes, we may need to import data into current worksheet from a text file or worksheet. For importing text file in Excel, it’s quite easy. But to import a worksheet into current worksheet, it’s a little bit sophisticated.
Recommended Productivity Tools for Excel/Office
You can import the data of a text file into current worksheet beginning at a specific cell with Text Import Wizard as the following steps:
1. Activate the worksheet you want to import data to, click the Data tab, and choose From Text button on the Get External Data group.
2. Choose the text file you want to import from the Import Text File window, and then click Import.
3. A Text Import Wizard dialog box will be displayed. See screenshot:
4. Then click Next button, you can set the delimiters your data contains. Also, you can preview the result in the Data preview box. See screenshot:
5. Go ahead and click Next button, the Text Import Wizard allows you to specify data format for each column and other advanced settings. Click Finish.
6.It will display a window asking where you want to put the data into the current worksheet or a new worksheet. Here you can see I choose A2. Click OK.
Your text data will now be input into the current Excel worksheet. See screenshot:
With so many steps, we finally finish it. If you want to import data from a worksheet, you need to save the worksheet as text file first or using a VBA to get it done. Is there an easier and more multifunctional tool to solve this problem?
With Kutools for excel, we can not only import txt, PRN or CSV files but also Excel files into an excel worksheet beginning at a specific cell.
1. After installing Kutools for excel, click Enterprise > Import/Export > Insert File at Cursor…, see screenshot:
2. Then in the Insert File at Cursor dialog box, do the following options:
(1.) Click the button to specify a cell you want to import data beginning at.
(2.) Then click Browse button to choose the file that you want to import, see screenshot:
3. And then click OK, if there are multiple worksheets in your workbook file, a prompt box will pop out to remind you selecting a worksheet you want to import, see screenshot:
4. And click OK, and the data in the selected worksheet has been imported into the current worksheet.
1. This function supports these file formats: Text files, Excel files, PRN files and CSV files.
2. If you don’t want to keep the data formatting, please check Do not transfer formatting option. And if you check the Values only option, the formulas are imported into the sheet as values.
For more detailed information about Insert File at Cursor, please visit Insert File at Cursor feature description.
Recommended Productivity Tools
Bring handy tabs to Excel and other Office software, just like Chrome, Firefox and new Internet Explorer.
Amazing! Increase your productivity in 5 minutes. Don't need any special skills, save two hours every day!
300 New Features for Excel, Make Excel Much Easy and Powerful:
- Merge Cell/Rows/Columns without Losing Data.
- Combine and Consolidate Multiple Sheets and Workbooks.
- Compare Ranges, Copy Multiple Ranges, Convert Text to Date, Unit and Currency Conversion.
- Count by Colors, Paging Subtotals, Advanced Sort and Super Filter,
- More Select/Insert/Delete/Text/Format/Link/Comment/Workbooks/Worksheets Tools...