How to disable or turn off auto smart quotes in Outlook?
In Outlook, when you type the “Straight quotes” in the email body, it will be automatically replaced with “Smart quotes”. See below screenshot:
If this auto format really caused inconvenience for you, you can choose to disable this function manually in Outlook. This article provides you with details of disabling or turning off auto smart quotes in Outlook.
Office Tab: Enable Tabbed Editing and Browsing in Office, Just Like Chrome, Firefox, IE 8/9/10.
Classic Menu: Bring Old Menus and Toolbars Back to Office 2007, 2010, 2013, 2016 and 2019.
You can do as follows to disable the auto smart quotes function in Outlook.
1. Click File > Options in Outlook 2010 and 2013.
In Outlook 2007, please click Tools > Options.
2. In the Outlook Options dialog box in Outlook 2010 and 2013, please click Mail in the left bar, then click the Spelling and Autocorrect button in the Compose messages section. See screenshot:
In Options dialog box of Outlook 2007, please click the Spelling and AutoCorrection button under Spelling tab.
3. When the Editor Options dialog box popping up, please select the Proofing in the left bar, then click the AutoCorrect Options button.
4. In the AutoCorrect dialog box, go to the AutoFormat tab, then uncheck the “Straight quotes” with “smart quotes” box in the Replace section. See screenshot:
5. Then go to the AutoFormat As You Type tab, uncheck the “Straight quotes” with “smart quotes” box in the Replace as you type section.
6. Click the OK button in the AutoCorrect dialog box.
7. Then click the OK buttons to close the following dialog boxes to finish the whole settings.
From now on, when you type in straight quotes in Outlook email body, they won’t be changed to smart ones any more.
Recommended Productivity Tools
- Complicated and repeated operations can be done a one-time processing in seconds.
- Forward multiple emails individually with one-click, and auto forward by rules.
- Auto CC/BCC every sending email and easy for customizing rules, and auto reply without requiring exchange server.
- Powerful junk emails filter, remove duplicate emails, reply with attachment, bunch of one-click operations, and so on...
- 60-day unlimited free trial. 60-day money back guarantee. 2 years free upgrade and support. Buy once, use forever.