How to sort by multiple columns or criteria in Outlook?
It’s quite easy to sort emails, appointments, contacts, or tasks with clicking one of column headers in Outlook. But can you sort by two or more columns simultaneously? And what if sorting by multiple criteria that don’t show as columns in the folder view? In this article, I will show you two methods to sort by multiple columns or criteria in Outlook.
- Auto CC/BCC by rules when sending email; Auto Forward Multiple Emails by rules; Auto Reply without exchange server, and more automatic features...
- BCC Warning - show message when you try to reply all if your mail address is in the BCC list; Remind When Missing Attachments, and more remind features...
- Reply (All) With All Attachments in the mail conversation; Reply Many Emails at once; Auto Add Greeting when reply; Auto Add Date&Time into subject...
- Attachment Tools: Auto Detach, Compress All, Rename All, Auto Save All... Quick Report, Count Selected Mails, Remove Duplicate Mails and Contacts...
- More than 100 advanced features will solve most of your problems in Outlook 2021 - 2010 or Office 365. Full features 60-day free trial.
We can quickly sort emails, appointments, contacts, or tasks by multiple columns with hotkeys as following:
Step 1: Open the folder where you will sort by multiple columns, and turn off the Reading Pane with clicking the Reading Pane > Off on the View tab in Outlook 2010 and 2013.
Note: In Outlook 2007, you need to click the View > Reading Pane > Off.
Step 2: Holding the Shift key, click the column headers one by one which you will sort by.
Note: You can specify no more than four sorting levers in Outlook.
The first method can’t sort by criteria not showing as column in the folder view, and it also can’t show you the sorting levers clearly. To solve both problems, you can sort emails, appointments, contacts, or tasks by multiple criteria with configuring the view settings of current folder in Outlook.
Step 1: Open the folder where you will sort by multiple criteria.
Step 2: Click the View Settings button on the View tab in Outlook 2010 and 2013.
Note: In Outlook 2007, you need to click the View > Current View > Customize Current View.
Step 3: In the coming Advanced View Settings/Customize View dialog box, click the Sort button.
Step 4: Now in the Sort dialog box, specify the sorting criteria in the Sort items by box and Then by boxes successively.
For example, it requires to sort emails by Importance, Attachment, From successively, you can:
(1) Click the Sort items by box and specify the Importance from the drop down list;
(2) Click the first Then by box and specify the Attachment from the drop down list;
(3) Click the second Then By box and specify the From from the drop down list.
(4) Click the OK button.
Step 5: Click the OK button in the Advanced View Settings/Customize View dialog box.
Then all items in the opening folder are sorted by the specified criteria in the proper sorting priority.
Best Office Productivity Tools
Kutools for Outlook - Over 100 Powerful Features to Supercharge Your Outlook
Over 100 Features Await Your Exploration! Click Here to Discover More.