How to sort by multiple columns or criteria in Outlook?
It’s quite easy to sort emails, appointments, contacts, or tasks with clicking one of column headers in Outlook. But can you sort by two or more columns simultaneously? And what if sorting by multiple criteria that don’t show as columns in the folder view? In this article, I will show you two methods to sort by multiple columns or criteria in Outlook.
Office Tab: Enable Tabbed Editing and Browsing in Office, Just Like Chrome, Firefox, IE 8/9/10.
Classic Menu: Bring Old Menus and Toolbars Back to Office 2007, 2010, 2013, 2016 and 2019.
We can quickly sort emails, appointments, contacts, or tasks by multiple columns with hotkeys as following:
Step 1: Open the folder where you will sort by multiple columns, and turn off the Reading Pane with clicking the Reading Pane > Off on the View tab in Outlook 2010 and 2013.
Note: In Outlook 2007, you need to click the View > Reading Pane > Off.
Step 2: Holding the Shift key, click the column headers one by one which you will sort by.
Note: You can specify no more than four sorting levers in Outlook.
The first method can’t sort by criteria not showing as column in the folder view, and it also can’t show you the sorting levers clearly. To solve both problems, you can sort emails, appointments, contacts, or tasks by multiple criteria with configuring the view settings of current folder in Outlook.
Step 1: Open the folder where you will sort by multiple criteria.
Step 2: Click the View Settings button on the View tab in Outlook 2010 and 2013.
Note: In Outlook 2007, you need to click the View > Current View > Customize Current View.
Step 3: In the coming Advanced View Settings/Customize View dialog box, click the Sort button.
Step 4: Now in the Sort dialog box, specify the sorting criteria in the Sort items by box and Then by boxes successively.
For example, it requires to sort emails by Importance, Attachment, From successively, you can:
(1) Click the Sort items by box and specify the Importance from the drop down list;
(2) Click the first Then by box and specify the Attachment from the drop down list;
(3) Click the second Then By box and specify the From from the drop down list.
(4) Click the OK button.
Step 5: Click the OK button in the Advanced View Settings/Customize View dialog box.
Then all items in the opening folder are sorted by the specified criteria in the proper sorting priority.
Recommended Productivity Tools
- Complicated and repeated operations can be done a one-time processing in seconds.
- Forward multiple emails individually with one-click, and auto forward by rules.
- Auto CC/BCC every sending email and easy for customizing rules, and auto reply without requiring exchange server.
- Powerful junk emails filter, remove duplicate emails, reply with attachment, bunch of one-click operations, and so on...
- 60-day unlimited free trial. 60-day money back guarantee. 2 years free upgrade and support. Buy once, use forever.