How to show the number of unread items including subfolders in Outlook?
As we know, in Outlook the number beside folder name in Navigation Pane indicates how many unread items are there in the folder as right screenshot shown. However, the number does not plus the numbers of unread items in subfolders. But sometimes you just need to know the total number of unread items including subfolders, and how? Try below method:
Office Tab: Enable Tabbed Editing and Browsing in Office, Just Like Chrome, Firefox, IE 8/9/10.
Classic Menu: Bring Old Menus and Toolbars Back to Office 2007, 2010, 2013, 2016 and 2019.
This method will guide you to create a search folder to collect all unread items from the specified folder and its subfolders, and then show the total number of unread items in the search folder in Outlook.
1. Select the folder that you will show the number of unread items including the subfolders, and click Folder > New Search Folder.
2. In the New Search Folder, please click to highlight the Create a custom Search Folder option, and click the Choose button.
3. In the opening Custom Search Folder dialog box, please type a name for this new search folder in the Name box. See screenshot below:
4. Click the Criteria button to open the Search Folder Criteria dialog box, next go to the More Choices tab, check the Only items that are option, select unread from right drop down list, and click the OK button. See screenshot above:
5. Now you return to the Custom Search Folder dialog box. Please click the Browse button to open the Select Folder(s) dialog box; next check the specified folder and Search subfolders option, and click the OK button. See screenshot:
6. Click OK > OK buttons to save the settings.
Now the new search folder is added in the Navigation pane, and the number beside the search folder indicates the total number of unread items in the specified folder and its subfolders. See screenshot:
If you have Kutools for Outlook installed, you can apply its Statistics feature to quickly show the total number of all unread items in a folder including its subfolders in Outlook. Please do as follows: Note: This Statistics feature is new in Kutools for Outlook 8.00 which is being tested and will be released sooner.
Kutools for Outlook - With more than 20 handy Outlook add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 60 days
1. Click Kutools > Statistics.
2. In the first Statistic dialog box, please only check the folder that you will count the total number of unread items including its subfolders, and click the OK button. See screenshot:
Note: By default, all folders are checked in the Statistics dialog box. You can uncheck them with right clicking any folder and selecting Uncheck All from the context menu.
And then you will see the total number of all unread items in the specified folder and its subfolders display at the top of the second Statistics dialog box. See screenshot:
Click to download Kutools for Outlook, 60-day free tiral no limitation!
Recommended Productivity Tools
- Complicated and repeated operations can be done a one-time processing in seconds.
- Forward multiple emails individually with one-click, and auto forward by rules.
- Auto CC/BCC every sending email and easy for customizing rules, and auto reply without requiring exchange server.
- Powerful junk emails filter, remove duplicate emails, reply with attachment, bunch of one-click operations, and so on...
- 60-day unlimited free trial. 60-day money back guarantee. 2 years free upgrade and support. Buy once, use forever.