How to highlight unread (new incoming) email messages in Outlook?
In Outlook 2016’s mail folders, unread emails are distinguished by showing subjects in small blue font as below screenshot shown. This may be not obvious enough to highlight unread emails. In this article, we provide a solution to highlight all unread emails with bigger red font.
Office Tab: Enable Tabbed Editing and Browsing in Office, Just Like Chrome, Firefox, IE 8/9/10.
Classic Menu: Bring Old Menus and Toolbars Back to Office 2007, 2010, 2013, 2016 and 2019.
You can change mail folders’ view settings to highlight all unread emails automatically in Outlook. Please do as follows:
1. In the Mail view, open the mail folder where you will highlight unread emails.
2. Click View > View Settings to open the Advanced View Settings dialog box.
3. In the Advanced View Settings dialog box, please click the Conditional Formatting button. See screenshot:
4. Now you get into the Conditional Formatting dialog box, please click to highlight the Unread messages option in the Rules for this view box, and click the Font button. See screenshot:
5. In the popping up Font dialog box, please set the highlight formatting as you need.
In my case, I set the highlight formatting as Segoe UI, and Red Bigger Bold Italic font. See screenshot:
6. Click the OK > OK > OK buttons to save the view settings.
From now on all unread emails are automatically highlighted by the specified formatting.
Recommended Productivity Tools
- Complicated and repeated operations can be done a one-time processing in seconds.
- Forward multiple emails individually with one-click, and auto forward by rules.
- Auto CC/BCC every sending email and easy for customizing rules, and auto reply without requiring exchange server.
- Powerful junk emails filter, remove duplicate emails, reply with attachment, bunch of one-click operations, and so on...
- 60-day unlimited free trial. 60-day money back guarantee. 2 years free upgrade and support. Buy once, use forever.