How to add contacts from distribution list (contact group) in Outlook?
It’s easy to add a contact from an email by right-clicking menu in Outlook, but how about adding a contact from a distribution list (contact group)? And what if adding multiple contacts from a distribution list (contact group)? This article will introduce two solutions:
Office Tab: Enable Tabbed Editing and Browsing in Office, Just Like Chrome, Firefox, IE 8/9/10.
Classic Menu: Bring Old Menus and Toolbars Back to Office 2007, 2010, 2013, 2016 and 2019.
It’s easy to add one member of a distribution list (contact group) as contact in Outlook. Please do as follows:
1. Go to the People (or Contacts) view, open the contact folder containing the distribution list (contact group) whose member you will add as contact, and then click View > Change View > People.
2. Click the distribution list (contact group) to open it in the Reading Pane.
Note: If the Reading Pane is off, please turn it on with clicking View > Reading Pane > Right.
2. In the Reading Pane, right click the member you will add as contact, and select Add to Outlook Contacts from the right-clicking menu. See screenshot:
3. In the popping out window, edit as you need, and then click the Save button to save this new contact.
(1) This member of distribution list (contact group) has been saved as a contact in the default contact folder.
(2) This method works well in Outlook 2013/2016, but not work in Outlook 2010.
This method will introduce Kutools for Outlook’s Break up (contact group) feature to save each member of a distribution list (contact group) as a single contact in Outlook. Please do as follows:
Kutools for Outlook - With more than 20 handy Outlook add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 60 days
Note: The selected distribution list (contact group) will be deleted after breaking up with this feature. You’d better make a copy of your distribution list before below operations.
1. In the People (or Contacts) view, select the distribution list (contact group) whose members you will save as contacts in bulk, and click Kutools > Group. See screenshot:
2. In the opening Contact Group dialog box, please click the Break Up button, and then click the Yes button in a confirmation dialog box.
So far each member of the selected distribution list (contact group) has been saved as a single contact in current contact folder.Click to download Kutools for Outlook, 60-day free tiral no limitation!
Recommended Productivity Tools
- Complicated and repeated operations can be done a one-time processing in seconds.
- Forward multiple emails individually with one-click, and auto forward by rules.
- Auto CC/BCC every sending email and easy for customizing rules, and auto reply without requiring exchange server.
- Powerful junk emails filter, remove duplicate emails, reply with attachment, bunch of one-click operations, and so on...
- 60-day unlimited free trial. 60-day money back guarantee. 2 years free upgrade and support. Buy once, use forever.