How to add chapter title to header or footer in Word document?
Normally, you can insert the header or footer with document path, name quickly and easily in a Word file. But, have you ever tried to insert the chapter title to header or footer, so that, the content of the header or footer is depended on what chapter the page is in. This article, I will talk about how to solve this job in Word document.
To insert each chapter title to header or footer, you can use the Quick Parts feature to achieve it, please do as this:
1. Firstly, you should apply a paragraph style to the chapter title that you want to insert as header or footer, in this example, my chapter title is styled as Heading 1, see screenshot:
2. Then click Home > Header / Footer, and choose one header or footer style, see screenshot:
3. And then, click Quick Parts > Field under the Design tab, see screenshot:
4. In the popped out Field dialog box, do the following operations:
- (1.) Select Links and References from the Categories drop down list;
- (2.) In the Field names list box, please choose StyleRef option;
- (3.) And then, find and select Heading 1 which is your chapter style you created from the Style name list box.
5. After finishing the settings, please click OK button, and now, the chapter title has been inserted into the header or footer, see screenshot:
1. If there's more than one Heading 1 on one page, only the first appeared one will be inserted into the header or footer.
2. The header or footer will be changed automatically when the chapter title is changing.
Best Office Productivity Tools
Kutools for Word - Elevate Your Word Experience with Over 100 Remarkable Features!
Dive into the highlighted features below or click here to explore the full power of Kutools for Word.
➕ Creative Inserts: Insert Thousand Separators / Check Boxes / Radio Buttons / QR Code / Barcode / Diagonal Line Table / Equation Caption / Image Caption / Table Caption / Multiple Pictures / Discover more in our Insert Group
Transform your Word tasks with Kutools. 👉 Download with 30-day trial Now 🚀.