How to remove all column breaks in Word?
It is easy to remove a column break in word, but not everyone knows how to quickly remove all column breaks in a long document. This tutorial is going to tell you several methods for removing all column breaks in word document.
1. To show column break marks in the document, please click Home > Show/Hide Editing Marks as shown in the below screenshot.
2. Select the column break that you want to remove;
3. Press the Delete key on your keyboard.
Hold “Ctrl” key to select all column breaks one by one, and press Delete key. But selecting column breaks one by one is arduous and painful if the document covers more than 200 pages.
1. Click Home > Replace to enable this utility.
2. Click More>> button to show more options. sees screenshot:
3. Place the cursor in the Find What field, and select the Column Break from the Special pull-down menu.
4. There will be a “^n” character in the Find What field, and click Replace All.
Alternatively you can use a macro to remove all empty lines if you are good at VBA code, and you may follow the below instructions like this:
1. Press “Alt-F11” to open the Microsoft Visual Basic for Application window;
2. Click Module on the Insert tab, copy and paste the following VBA code into the Module window;
The VBA code of removing all column breaks:
.Text = "^n"
.Replacement.Text = ""
.Forward = True
.Wrap = wdFindContinue
.Format = False
.MatchCase = False
.MatchWholeWord = False
.MatchByte = False
.MatchAllWordForms = False
.MatchSoundsLike = False
.MatchWildcards = False
.MatchFuzzy = False
3. Click Run Macro on the Run tab;
Note: If the Track Changes function is enabled in the document, this VBA cannot remove all column breaks of it.
Actually there is a more convenient and quicker way to remove all column breaks in word. You neither take complex operations nor need to learn VBA code, after installing Kutools for Word, only one click will help you quickly remove all column breaks in the whole or selection of current document.
1. Please apply this utility by clicking Kutools > Breaks > Remove Column Breaks. See screenshot:
2. You will see all column breaks will be removed from the whole document.
Recommended Word Productivity Tools
- Complicated and repeated operations can be done one-time processing in seconds.
- Insert multiple images across folders into Word document at once.
- Merge and combine multiple Word files across folders into one with your desired order.
- Split the current document into separate documents according to heading, section break or other criteria.
- Convert files between Doc and Docx, Docx and PDF, collection of tools for common conversions and selection, and so on...