How to remove empty lines in Word?
The document downloaded from the web has too many empty lines (manual line breaks). To save paper and space, we need to remove all empty lines. Is there an easier way to remove all empty lines instead of deleting each one manually? This tutorial will list three available methods for removing all empty lines in the whole or selection of documents:
The Find and Replace function in Word is commonly used to remove all empty lines, but you have to know the empty lines are called Manual Line Breaks in the Find What option.
1. Click Replace on the Home tab. See screenshot:
2. When the Find and Replace dialog popping up, click More>> button to show more options. And then put the cursor in the Find What field, and select the Manual Line Break from the Special pull-down menu, see screenshot:
3. There will be a “^l” character in the Find What field, and click Replace All. All manual line breaks have been deleted at once, see screenshot:
Alternatively you can use a macro to remove all empty lines if you are good at VBA code, and you may follow the below instructions like this:
1. Press Alt+F11 to open the Microsoft Visual Basic for Application window.
2. Click Insert > Module, and then copy the below VBA code into the module window.
VBA code: removing all manual line breaks in the document:
Sub Deleemptylines() Selection.Find.ClearFormatting Selection.Find.Replacement.ClearFormatting With Selection.Find .Text = "^l" .Replacement.Text = "" .Forward = True .Wrap = wdFindContinue .Format = False .MatchCase = False .MatchWholeWord = False .MatchByte = False .MatchAllWordForms = False .MatchSoundsLike = False .MatchWildcards = False .MatchFuzzy = False End With Selection.Find.Execute Replace:=wdReplaceAll End Sub
3. Then click Run Sub button to run the code, all the manual line breaks will be removed.
The above methods require a few steps to remove all empty lines, but with Kutools for Word, only one click will help you complete this operation.
|Kutools for Word : with more than 100 handy Word add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 60 days.|
1. Please apply this utility by clicking Kutools > Empty Paras > Remove Empty Manual Line Breaks. See screenshot:
2. Then a prompt box will pop out to remind you removing all empty lines, please click Yes button, see screenshot:
3. After clicking Yes, you can see all the empty lines are removed form the document. See screenshot:
Note: If you just need to remove the empty lines in a selection, you should select the range before applying this feature.
Best Office Productivity Tools
Kutools for Word - Elevate Your Word Experience with Over 100 Remarkable Features!
Dive into the highlighted features below or click here to explore the full power of Kutools for Word.
➕ Creative Inserts: Insert Thousand Separators / Check Boxes / Radio Buttons / QR Code / Barcode / Diagonal Line Table / Equation Caption / Image Caption / Table Caption / Multiple Pictures / Discover more in our Insert Group
Transform your Word tasks with Kutools. 👉 Download with 30-day trial Now 🚀.