How to remove empty lines in Word?
The document downloaded from the web has too many empty lines (manual line breaks). To save paper and space, we need to remove all empty lines. Is there an easier way to remove all empty lines instead of deleting each one manually? This tutorial will list three available methods for removing all empty lines in the whole or selection of documents:
Office Tab: Enable Tabbed Editing and Browsing in Office, Just Like Chrome, Firefox, IE 8/9/10.
Classic Menu for Office: Bring Old Look of Office 2003 Back to Office 2007, 2010, 2013 and 2016.
The Find and Replace function in Word is commonly used to remove all empty lines, but you have to know the empty lines are called Manual Line Breaks in the Find What option.
1. Click Replace on the Home tab. See screenshot:
2. When the Find and Replace dialog popping up, click More>> button to show more options.
3. Place the cursor in the Find What field, and select the Manual Line Break from the Special pull-down menu.
4. There will be a “^l” character in the Find What field, and click Replace All.
Alternatively you can use a macro to remove all empty lines if you are good at VBA code, and you may follow the below instructions like this:
1. Press “Alt+F11” to open the Microsoft Visual Basic for Application window.
2. Click Insert > Module, and then copy the below VBA code into the module window.
The VBA code of removing all manual line breaks in the document:
.Text = "^l"
.Replacement.Text = ""
.Forward = True
.Wrap = wdFindContinue
.Format = False
.MatchCase = False
.MatchWholeWord = False
.MatchByte = False
.MatchAllWordForms = False
.MatchSoundsLike = False
.MatchWildcards = False
.MatchFuzzy = False
3. Then click Run Sub button to run the code, the section breaks will be removed.
Note: This VBA code was successfully tested in Word 2010 and 2013.
The above methods require a few steps to remove all empty lines, but with Kutools for Word, only one click will help you complete this operation.
1. Please apply this utility by clicking Kutools > Empty Paras > Remove Empty Manual Line Breaks. See screenshot:
2. After clicking Remove Empty Manual Line Breaks, you can see all the empty lines are removed for the document.
For more information about how to Remove Empty Manual Line Breaks from a part of the document, please visit here.
Kutools for Word
More than 100 Advanced Functions for Word 2003, 2007, 2010, 2013 and 2016
You are guest ( Sign Up? )
or post as a guest, but your post won't be published automatically.
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 1 years agoTry finding ^p^p with ^p for paragraphs markers and ^l^l with ^l for line markers.
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 2 years agoThank you 'extendoffice' your solution worked for me
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 2 years agofor my doc i needed to use the word replace function
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 2 years agoWorks for me. Thank you :)
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 2 years agoDoes not work. The ^l is ignored.