How to remove or clear formatting in word?
When you are editing a document, sometimes you may need to remove or clear all formatting from the selection, leaving only the plain text in your document. This tutorial will introduce you some methods to remove all formatting from document in Word.
Recommended Productivity Tools for Word
Amazing! Use Efficient Tabs in Word (Office) like Chrome, Firefox and New Internet Explorer!
Step 1: Select a part of the document you want to remove all formatting or press shortcuts CTRL+ A to select the whole document if you need to remove formatting from entire document.
Step 2: Then apply Clear Formatting as follows:
Note: This function cannot remove the formatting made by , and .
You can also use a VBA code to remove all formatting from the document in Word.
Step 1: Press Alt+F11 to open the VBA (Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications) window in Word;
Step 2: Click Module in Insert tab, and insert the VBA code into Module window;
Step 3: Click Run button to apply the VBA code (or press F5);
VBA: remove all formatting from the active document.
Sub ClrFmtg() ActiveDocument.Select Selection.ClearFormatting End Sub
Note: Before you use this code to remove formatting, you need to select the part you want to remove formatting in your document. This code cannot remove the formatting made by , and . And this code just can remove the formatting from all texts.
VBA: remove all formatting from specified paragraph in document.
Sub ClrFmtg2() ActiveDocument.Range(Start:=ActiveDocument.Paragraphs(2).Range.Start, _ End:=ActiveDocument.Paragraphs(4).Range.End).Select Selection.ClearFormatting End Sub
Note: this VBA will remove all formatting between paragraph 2 and paragraph 4. You can specify the paragraph number in the code.This code cannot remove the formatting made by , and .
Recommended Productivity Tools
- Complicated and repeated operations can be done a one-time processing in seconds.
- Insert multiple images across folders into Word document at once.
- Merge and combine multiple Word files across folders in to one with your desired order.
- Split the current document into separate documents according to heading 1, section break or other criteria.
- Convert files between Doc and Docx, Docx and PDF, collection of tools for common conversions and selection, and so on...