Count the number of words in a cell in Excel
This article explains how to count total words in a cell with a formula in Excel.
How to count the number of words in a cell in Excel?
How to use this formula?
Supposing you have a list with different sentences in each cell, and want to count the number of words for each cell and return the results. Please do as follows.
1. Select a blank cell to output the result.
2. Enter the below formula into it and press the Enter key.
3. Select the first result cell, drag the Fill Handle to apply the formula to other cells. See screenshot:
How this formula works?
- 1. LEN(SUBSTITUTE(B5," ","")): First, the SUBSTITUTE function removes all spaces from the specific cell (all spaces in the cell will be replaced with empty text string). After that, the LEN function calculates the length of the text string without spaces. Here the result is 19.
- 2. LEN(TRIM(B5)): If there are extra spaces in B5, the TRIM function will remove them and only keep a single space between words. And then the LEN function calculates the length of the text string in B5 with spaces and return 23.
- 3. LEN(TRIM(B5))-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(B5," ",""))+1: Now the length of the string with spaces (23) subtracts the string length without spaces (19), and as the number of words is equal to the number of spaces + 1, we need to add 1 to the final word count. Here the total words are 5.