How to break all external links in Excel?
When we use Excel workbook, sometimes, we may create some external links to other workbooks for the data for some purpose. But how could you break all the links at once without breaking them one by one?
If you want to break all of the external links, both the ok and error links, the following VBA code can help you to break them all.
1. Hold down the ALT + F11 keys, and it opens the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. Click Insert > Module, and paste the following code in the Module Window.
Sub BreakLinks() 'Updateby20140318 Dim wb As Workbook Set wb = Application.ActiveWorkbook If Not IsEmpty(wb.LinkSources(xlExcelLinks)) Then For Each link In wb.LinkSources(xlExcelLinks) wb.BreakLink link, xlLinkTypeExcelLinks Next link End If End Sub
3. Then press F5 key to run the code, and all of the external links in the whole workbook have been broken.
The above VBA code force you to break all of the links in the whole workbook, but if you just only need to break some specific links, such as broken links, in this case, the VBA code will not work.
With Kutools for Excel’s Find and Break broken Links function, you can break all of the links, the broken links, the ok links, and the specified link source links.
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as follows:
1. Click Kutools > Link Tools > Find and Break broken Links, see screenshot:
2. In the Find and Break broken Links dialog box, all of the external links in the active worksheet are listed in the list box. You can choose the link type which you want to break from the Filter drop down list. See screenshots:
3. In this case, I choose All broken links, and only the broken links have been listed into the list box, see screenshot:
4. Then click Break link button, all the broken links will be selected and deleted from the active worksheet.
Note: If the View cell option is checked, when you click on the link in the list, it will find and navigate to the specific cell which contains the link in the worksheet.
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!