How to break all external links in Excel?
When we use Excel workbook, sometimes, we may create some external links to other workbooks for the data for some purpose. But how could you break all the links at once without breaking them one by one?
- Reuse Anything: Add the most used or complex formulas, charts and anything else to your favorites, and quickly reuse them in the future.
- More than 20 text features: Extract Number from Text String; Extract or Remove Part of Texts; Convert Numbers and Currencies to English Words.
- Merge Tools: Multiple Workbooks and Sheets into One; Merge Multiple Cells/Rows/Columns Without Losing Data; Merge Duplicate Rows and Sum.
- Split Tools: Split Data into Multiple Sheets Based on Value; One Workbook to Multiple Excel, PDF or CSV Files; One Column to Multiple Columns.
- Paste Skipping Hidden/Filtered Rows; Count And Sum by Background Color; Send Personalized Emails to Multiple Recipients in Bulk.
- Super Filter: Create advanced filter schemes and apply to any sheets; Sort by week, day, frequency and more; Filter by bold, formulas, comment...
- More than 300 powerful features; Works with Office 2007-2019 and 365; Supports all languages; Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization.
If you want to break all of the external links, both the ok and error links, the following VBA code can help you to break them all.
1. Hold down the ALT + F11 keys, and it opens the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. Click Insert > Module, and paste the following code in the Module Window.
Sub BreakLinks() 'Updateby20140318 Dim wb As Workbook Set wb = Application.ActiveWorkbook If Not IsEmpty(wb.LinkSources(xlExcelLinks)) Then For Each link In wb.LinkSources(xlExcelLinks) wb.BreakLink link, xlLinkTypeExcelLinks Next link End If End Sub
3. Then press F5 key to run the code, and all of the external links in the whole workbook have been broken.
The above VBA code force you to break all of the links in the whole workbook, but if you just only need to break some specific links, such as broken links, in this case, the VBA code will not work.
With Kutools for Excel’s Find and Break broken Links function, you can break all of the links, the broken links, the ok links, and the specified link source links.
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as follows:
1. Click Kutools > Link Tools > Find and Break broken Links, see screenshot:
2. In the Find and Break broken Links dialog box, all of the external links in the active worksheet are listed in the list box. You can choose the link type which you want to break from the Filter drop down list. See screenshots:
3. In this case, I choose All broken links, and only the broken links have been listed into the list box, see screenshot:
4. Then click Break link button, all the broken links will be selected and deleted from the active worksheet.
Note: If the View cell option is checked, when you click on the link in the list, it will find and navigate to the specific cell which contains the link in the worksheet.
You are guest
or post as a guest, but your post won't be published automatically.
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 2 years agoerror link veriable is not define plz assite
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 3 years agoThis little piece worked like a charm! Thank you so much!
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 3 years agoHi there, this fix worked great for some of the files with broken links, but encountered an issue when the reference points to a Hyperlink and not a path, do you have any Ideas,on how to also break those, even when I go to edit links and click break, it does nothing.