How to break all external links in Excel?
When we use Excel workbook, sometimes, we may create some external links to other workbooks for the data for some purpose. But how could you break all the links at once without breaking them one by one?
Excel Productivity Tools
Office Tab: Bring powerful tabs to Office (include Excel), just like Chrome, Safari, Firefox and Internet Explorer. Save you half the time, and reduce thousands of mouse clicks for you. 30-day Unlimited Free Trial
Kutools for Excel: Save 70% of your time and solve 80% Excel problems for you. 300+ advanced features designed for 1500+ work scenario, make Excel much easy and increase productivity immediately. 60-day Unlimited Free Trial
If you want to break all of the external links, both the ok and error links, the following VBA code can help you to break them all.
1. Hold down the ALT + F11 keys, and it opens the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. Click Insert > Module, and paste the following code in the Module Window.
Sub BreakLinks() 'Updateby20140318 Dim wb As Workbook Set wb = Application.ActiveWorkbook If Not IsEmpty(wb.LinkSources(xlExcelLinks)) Then For Each link In wb.LinkSources(xlExcelLinks) wb.BreakLink link, xlLinkTypeExcelLinks Next link End If End Sub
3. Then press F5 key to run the code, and all of the external links in the whole workbook have been broken.
The above VBA code force you to break all of the links in the whole workbook, but if you just only need to break some specific links, such as broken links, in this case, the VBA code will not work.
With Kutools for Excel’s Find and Break broken Links function, you can break all of the links, the broken links, the ok links, and the specified link source links.
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as follows:
1. Click Kutools > Link Tools > Find and Break broken Links, see screenshot:
2. In the Find and Break broken Links dialog box, all of the external links in the active worksheet are listed in the list box. You can choose the link type which you want to break from the Filter drop down list. See screenshots:
3. In this case, I choose All broken links, and only the broken links have been listed into the list box, see screenshot:
4. Then click Break link button, all the broken links will be selected and deleted from the active worksheet.
Note: If the View cell option is checked, when you click on the link in the list, it will find and navigate to the specific cell which contains the link in the worksheet.
Excel Productivity Tools
You are guest ( Sign Up? )
or post as a guest, but your post won't be published automatically.
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 9 months agoerror link veriable is not define plz assite
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 1 years agoThis little piece worked like a charm! Thank you so much!
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 1 years agoHi there, this fix worked great for some of the files with broken links, but encountered an issue when the reference points to a Hyperlink and not a path, do you have any Ideas,on how to also break those, even when I go to edit links and click break, it does nothing.