How to summarize data from worksheets / workbooks into one worksheet?
Supposing you have a workbook which contains multiple worksheets, and each worksheet has the identical layout. And now you need to merge the multiple worksheets and calculate the final results into a master worksheet, how could you consolidate or summarize data from multiple worksheets or workbooks into a master worksheet? Here, I will introduce you some quick tricks to solve it.
This Consolidate feature combines values and do some calculations from multiple worksheets or workbooks into one worksheet. In the following example, I want to summarize the total score of four terms for each student. See screenshots:
The score of first term:
The score of second term:
The score of third term:
The score of fourth term:
Now I can use the Consolidate function to summarize the data from multiple worksheets into single worksheet, please do as follows:
1. Create a new workbook that you want to put the consolidated data, then click Data > Consolidate, see screenshot:
2. In the Consolidate dialog box, select Sum (as we want to show sum of values for consolidation ) from Function option, then click button from Reference to select the range that you want to summarize, and then click Add button to add the range reference to the All references list box. See screenshot:
3. Using the same way to add other ranges to the All references list box. If your data contains labels for top row and left column, please check Top row and Left column under Use labels in. You can also enable Create links to source data option, for linking the source data(this option is applied to new workbook ), see screenshot:
4. Click OK to finish this operation. All the data from the worksheets has been added-up into a new worksheet. At the same time, it creates links for the consolidated data, which updates automatically when the source data changes.
If you are not familiar with the Consolidate function in Excel, here I will recommend you an easy and multi-functional tool-Kutools for Excel. With its Combine feature, you can quickly summarize the data from multiple worksheets or workbooks into one master worksheet.
After installing Kutools for Excel, please click Enterprise > Combine. See screenshot:
1. In the Combine Worksheets wizard, select Consolidate and calculate values across multiple workbooks into one worksheet. See screenshot:
2. On step2 of wizard, all the opened workbooks and worksheets are listed in the list boxes, you can click Add button to add other files or folders that you want to consolidate. Click button to select the range you want to summarize one by one. (By default, the used range is selected for each worksheet) See screenshot:
3. After select the ranges, then continue to click Next button, on step3 of wizard, set the following settings:
- (1.) Select the calculation type from the Function, in this example, I choose Sum.
- (2.) Check the Top row, Left column if your source data contains the corresponding labels.
- (3.) Check the Create links to source data option if you want the consolidation to be updated automatically when the source data are changed. See screenshot:
4. And then click Finish button, and you will be asked if you want to save this scenario. If you want to save this scenario, please click Yes, and enter the name of the scenario, (see following screenshots), if you don’t want to save this scenario, please click No. When you want to use this scenario, you just only need to click Scenario button to choose the name of the scenario you need on step2 wizard.
And then all the data from the worksheets has been summarized into one worksheet of a new workbook. And the consolidated data is added the links as well. See screenshot:
1. With the above two methods, you can also do other calculations, such as Average, Count, Max, Min and so on.
2. Both the two features also can be applied to multiple workbooks for consolidation.
If you want to know more about this feature, please click Consolidate and calculate values across multiple workbooks into one worksheet.
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!