How to insert current day or month or year into cell in Excel?
When you want to quickly insert the current month or current date in Excel, how can you insert? The following method will help you quickly insert current month or date into a cell, or into header/footer of worksheet.
- Insert current year, month or date by formulas and hotkeys
- Insert current year, month or date with special date formatting
- Insert current date and time in cell/header/footer
In Excel, you can insert current year, month, date, and timestamps with formulas easily.
Take inserting current month for example, please type the formula =MONTH(TODAY()) in the cell you want to insert current month and press Enter.
|Insert Current Month||=MONTH(TODAY())||8|
|Insert Current Month||=TEXT(TODAY(),"MMMM")||August|
|Insert Current Year||=YEAR(TODAY())||2015|
|Insert Current Date||=TODAY()||2015/8/20|
|Insert Current date and time||=NOW()||2015/8/20 9:41|
Hotkeys can also help you insert current date and time easily:
(1) Press CTRL+ ; keys to insert current date.
(2) Press CTRL+ ; to insert the current date first and release the keys, then press Space button to insert a space, at last press CTRL+SHIFT+; to insert the current time.
|Formula is too complicated to remember? Save the formula as an Auto Text entry for reusing with only one click in future!
Read more… Free trial
If you have Kutools for Excel installed, its Insert Date utility can help you quickly insert current month or date with various date formatting with just several clicks in Excel.
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as following steps:
1. Select a cell that you want to insert current year, month or day, and click the Kutools > Insert > Insert Date, see screenshot:
2. In the Insert Date dialog, check the Using format option, and then double click a date formatting in the right pane. See screenshot above:
Now current date is inserted into active cell with the specified date formatting.
Note: By default current date is selected in the calendar in the Insert Date dialog box. If you need to insert other date, you need to select the date in the calendar firstly.
If you have Kutools for Excel installed, its Insert Workbook Information utility enables you to insert current date and time into cell/header/footer easily. Please do as follows:
1. Click the Kutools Plus > Workbook > Insert Workbook Information.
2. In the opening Insert Workbook Information dialog box, check the Current date and time option, in the Insert at section specify a position, and click the Ok button. See screenshot above:
Then current date and time is inserted at the specified cell, header, or footer at once.