How to only copy formatting from a range to another in Excel?
When you only want to copy the cell formatting from a range, how can you get it done quickly? This tutorial introduces quick cuts for you to easily copy formatting only.
In Excel, you can copy cells' formatting only with the Format Painter tool.
1. Select a range which contains the cells' format you want to copy. See screenshot:
2. Applying Format Painter by clicking it under the Home tab, see screenshot:
3. Select a blank cell and click it, only the cells' formatting is pasted. See screenshot:
Note: Format Painter also can copy formatting only to another worksheet.
The following macros also can help you to copy cells' formatting only.
1. Hold ALT button and press F11 on the keyboard to open a Microsoft Visual Basic for Application window.
2. Click Insert > Module, and copy the VBA into the module.
VBA: Copy cell formatting only:
Sub CopyFormat() 'Update 20130815 Dim CopyRng As Range, PasteRng As Range xTitleId = "KutoolsforExcel" Set CopyRng = Application.Selection Set CopyRng = Application.InputBox("Ranges to be copied :", xTitleId, CopyRng.Address, Type:=8) Set PasteRng = Application.InputBox("Paste to (single cell):", xTitleId, Type:=8) CopyRng.Copy PasteRng.Parent.Activate PasteRng.PasteSpecial xlPasteFormats Application.CutCopyMode = False End Sub
3. Click Run button or press F5 to run the VBA. There is a dialog displayed on the screen, and you should select the cells you want to copy formatting. See screenshot:
4. Click Ok and another dialog is displayed for you to select a cell to paste the formatting. See screenshot:
6. Click Ok, then the cells' formatting is pasted in the selected cell. See screenshot:
Note: With this VBA code, you can paste only the formatting into other worksheets that you want.
Have Kutools for Excel installed, the Copy Ranges function can help you quickly and easily copy cells' formatting only.
|Kutools for Excel, with more than 300 handy functions, makes your jobs more easier.|
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as below:(Free Download Kutools for Excel Now!)
Please apply Copy Ranges function by clicking Kutools > Copy Ranges. See screenshot:
1. Select the cells you want to copy the formatting.
2. Click Kutools > Copy Ranges, a dialog is displayed in the screen, check Formats option under Paste special, see screenshot:
3. And click OK. Another dialog is displayed for you to select a cell to paste the result. See screenshot:
4. Click Ok, and only the formatting is pasted in the selected cell. See screenshot:
Note: You also can copy and paste cells' formatting between two spreadsheets. If you want to copy the row height and column width, too, you can check Including row height and Including column width box in the Copy Multiple Ranges dialog.
With Kutools for Excel' Copy Ranges, you can only copy values, formulas or comments as well.
|In some cases, you may have a range of calues with multiple colors, and what you want is to count/sum values based on same color, how can you quickly calculate?
With Kutools for Excel's Count by Color, you can quickly do many calculations by color, and also can generate a report of the calculated result.
- Copy numbers without formulas in cells
- Only copy comments from cells to another
- Copy values and formattings in cells