How to quickly sum every other or nth row/column in Excel?
As we all know, we can apply the Sum function to add a list of cells, but sometimes we need to sum every other cell for some purpose, and Excel has no standard function allow us to sum every nth cell. In this situation, how could we sum every other or nth row / column in Excel?
Through the following example, I will show you how to apply the formulas that sum every other cell.
1. Use the array formulas to sum every other row or column
In a blank cell, please enter this formula: =SUM(IF(MOD(ROW($B$1:$B$15),2)=0,$B$1:$B$15,0)), then press Ctrl + Shift + Enter keys, and every other cell values in the column B have been summed. See screenshots:
1. In the above array formula, you can change the number 2 to 3, 4, 5…, it means sum every 3rd row, every 4th row, every 5th row…
2. If you want to sum every other column, you can input the following formula: =SUM(IF(MOD(COLUMN($A$1:$O$1),2)=0,$A$1:$O$1,0)), and press Ctrl + Shift + Enter keys to get the result. See screenshot:
2. Use the formulas to sum every other row or column
Here is another formula can help you to sum every other or nth cell in a worksheet.
In an empty cell, please enter this formula: =SUMPRODUCT((MOD(ROW($B$1:$B$15),3)=0)*($B$1:$B$15)). And then press Enter key, and every 3rd cell has been added. See screenshots:
1. In the above formula, you can change the number 3 to 4, 5, 6…, it means sum every 4th row, every 5th row, every 6th row…
2. If you want to sum every other column, you can input the following formula: =SUMPRODUCT((MOD(COLUMN($A$1:$O$1),3)=0)*($A$1:$O$1)).
The following user defined function also can help you to add every other or nth cell in Excel.
1. Hold down the ALT + F11 keys, and it opens the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. Click Insert > Module, and paste the following code in the Module window.
Function SumIntervalRows(WorkRng As Range, interval As Integer) As Double 'Updateby Extendoffice Dim arr As Variant Dim total As Double total = 0 arr = WorkRng.Value For i = interval To UBound(arr, 1) Step interval total = total + arr(i, 1) Next SumIntervalRows = total End Function Function SumIntervalCols(WorkRng As Range, interval As Integer) As Double Dim arr As Variant Dim total As Double total = 0 arr = WorkRng.Value For j = interval To UBound(arr, 2) Step interval total = total + arr(1, j) Next SumIntervalCols = total End Function
3. Then save this code, and type the following formula into a blank cell as you need, see screenshots:
For summing every fourth row: =SumIntervalRows (B1:B15,4)
For summing every fourth column: =SumIntervalCols (A1:O1,4)
4. Then press Enter key, you will get the calculation. See screenshots:
Sum every fourth row:
Sum every fourth column:
Note: You can change the number 4 to any other numbers, such as 2, 3, 5… it means sum every second row, every third row, every fifth row or column.
Maybe both the formulas and user defined function are somewhat difficult for most of you, here I can introduce you an easier way to solve this task.
With Kutools for Excel’s Select Interval Rows & Columns, you can select every other or nth cell that you need first, and then give the selected cells a defined name, at last, using the Sum function to sum the cells.
|Kutools for Excel : with more than 300 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 30 days.|
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as the following steps:
1. Select the column that you want to sum every other or nth cell.
2. Click Kutools > Select > Select Interval Rows & Columns, see screenshot:
3. In the Select Interval Rows & Columns dialog box, specify the operations as you need, see screenshot:
4. Click OK, and every other row has been selected from the first row, and now, you can view the calculated results, such as average, sum, count are displayed at the bottom of the status bar. See screenshot:
1. With this function, you can set the number 2, 3, 4… in Interval of option, and you will select the cells with the interval of 2, 3, 4 rows starting from the first row of the range in the step 3.
2. With the above steps, you can also sum every other or nth column as you need.
If you want to know more about this feature, please click Select Interval Rows & Columns.
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!