How to create Gantt chart in Excel?
When you need to display your timeline of the project management in Excel, the Gantt chart can help you. Most of users may be known that the Gantt chart is a horizontal bar chart which is often used in project management applications, and from it you can view the timelines of each project managements visually and intuitively (see the following screenshot). And here, I will talk about how to create a Gantt chart in Excel.
- Reuse Anything: Add the most used or complex formulas, charts and anything else to your favorites, and quickly reuse them in the future.
- More than 20 text features: Extract Number from Text String; Extract or Remove Part of Texts; Convert Numbers and Currencies to English Words.
- Merge Tools: Multiple Workbooks and Sheets into One; Merge Multiple Cells/Rows/Columns Without Losing Data; Merge Duplicate Rows and Sum.
- Split Tools: Split Data into Multiple Sheets Based on Value; One Workbook to Multiple Excel, PDF or CSV Files; One Column to Multiple Columns.
- Paste Skipping Hidden/Filtered Rows; Count And Sum by Background Color; Send Personalized Emails to Multiple Recipients in Bulk.
- Super Filter: Create advanced filter schemes and apply to any sheets; Sort by week, day, frequency and more; Filter by bold, formulas, comment...
- More than 300 powerful features; Works with Office 2007-2019 and 365; Supports all languages; Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization.
You can create a Gantt chart with following steps:
First, create your own task data range.
1. Create the task data range which include the task name, start date and days duration as follows:
Second, insert a bar chart and add the data series.
2. Insert a bar chart by clicking Insert > Bar > Stacked Bar, and a blank chart will be inserted, see screenshots:
3. Then you need to add the data series to the chart, please select the blank chart and right click, then choose Select Data from the context menu, see screenshot:
4. In the Select Data Source dialog, click Add button under Legend Entries(Series), and then an Edit Series dialog will appear:
(1.) Click button under Series name to select the Start Date cell, B1 in this case.
(2.) Click button under Series values to highlight your date cells (from cell B2 to cell B7 in this example), see screenshots:
5. Click OK to return to the Select Data Source dialog, then please repeat the step4 to continue adding Duration data series to the chart, and the Started Date and Duration data series are inserted into the chart, you will get the following screenshot:
6. Go on in this Select Data Source dialog box, please click Edit button under Horizontal(Category) Axis Labels, and then in the Axis Label dialog, click button to select your task name cells, see screenshots:
7. Then click OK > OK to close the dialogs, and your data series have been added to the chart successfully. The Start Date are blue and the Durations are red as following screenshot shown:
Third, format your bar chart.
8. The tasks in your created bar chart are in reverse order, to flip them, please select the task names and right click, then choose Format Axis, see screenshot:
9. In the Format Axis dialog box, click Axis Options and check Categories in reverse order, and the task names have been revered, see screenshot:
10. Then close this dialog, next, you need to hide the Start Date bar, select one blue bar and right click, then choose Format Data Series.
11. In the Format Data Series dialog, click Fill from the left pane, and select No fill option, then go on clicking Border Color, and select No line option, see screenshot:
12. Then close this dialog, and your bar chart becomes as this:
13. In following steps, you need to remove the empty white space at the start of your Gantt chart.
(1.) Select the first Start Date cell in your data range, right click and choose Format Cells, in the Format Cell dialog, click Number tab, and select General in the left pane, remember or write down the numbers under Sample, in this example, it is 41642. Then close this dialog.
(2.) Then select the dates above the bar in the chart, and right click to choose Format Axis, and in the Format Axis dialog box:
A: Click Axis Options from the left pane, and in the Minimum option, check Fixed and input the numbers that you are recorded just now;
B: In the Major unit option, select Fixed and adjust the time duration as your need.
(3.) And then close the dialog, your Gantt chart has been created as follows:
(4.) At last, you can delete the Start Date and Duration legend on the right of your chart by selecting it and pressing Delete key. And your Gantt chart is completely finished.
You are guest
or post as a guest, but your post won't be published automatically.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 1 years ago請問如何刪除頁頂上個Gantt Chart字樣? 謝謝
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 2 years agoThis is great. How can I add a moving line for today's date? I attempted to follow instructions for adding one to a line graph, but ran into a snag with the bar chart.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 6 years agoFantastic tutorial & demonstration