How to create a step chart in Excel?
A step chart is used to show the changes happened at irregular intervals, it is an extended version of a line chart. But, there is no direct way to create it in Excel. This article, I will talk about how to create a step chart step by step in Excel worksheet.
For example, you have a range of data as shown in the screenshot below, to create a step chart, please do as this:
1. First, you should create the chart data, please copy the date cells from A3 to A12, and paste them into another column, column E as following screenshot shown:
2. Then go on copying the total order cells from B2 to B11, and paste them into column F, see screenshot:
3. After that, copy all the original data table and paste them below the new range you have just created, see screenshot:
4. Your data has been created, now, please select the new data range, and then click Insert > Insert Line or Area Chart > 2-D Line chart, see screenshot:
5. And now, your step chart has been created successfully, see screenshot:
If your data is year column instead of date column, the above steps may not work well, the following steps can do you a favor.
1. Create the chart data as above step1 – step3, see screenshot:
2. Then insert the line chart by clicking Insert > Insert Line or Area Chart > 2-D Line chart, and you will get the below chart:
3. Select the chart, and in the Chart Tools tab, click Design > Select Data, see screenshot:
4. In the Select Data Source dialog box, select the Year header, and click Remove button to delete this data point in Legend Entries (Series) section, see screenshot:
5. Go on clicking Edit button from the Horizontal(Category) Axis Labels option, see screenshot:
6. In the popped-out Axis Labels dialog box, select the Year column data except header from the new data range as following screenshot shown,
7. Then click OK > OK to close the dialogs, you will get the following chart, and then right-click the horizontal axis and choose Format Axis from the context menu, see screenshot:
8. In the opened Format Axis pane, under the Axis Options icon, check Date axis option in the Axis Type section, and now, the step chart has been created completely, see screenshot: