How to highlight cells with external links in Excel?
Supposing there are lots of external links in your workbook, and now you need to automatically highlight those cells that contain the external links. How could you deal with this task in Excel?
Recommended Productivity Tools for Excel
Office Tab: Bring powerful tabs to Office (include Excel), just like Chrome, Safari, Firefox and Internet Explorer. Save you half the time, and reduce thousands of mouse clicks for you. 30-day Unlimited Free Trial
Kutools for Excel: Save 71% of your time and solve 82% Excel problems for you. 300+ advanced tools designed for 1500+ work scenario, make Excel much easy and increase productivity immediately.60-day Unlimited Free Trial
In Excel, there is no direct way for you to highlight the cells with external links, you need to create a User Defined Function first, and then apply the Conditional Formatting function.
1. Hold down the ALT + F11 keys to open the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. Click Insert > Module, and paste the following code in the Module Window.
Function ExternalFormula(pCell As Range) As Boolean 'Update 20140318 If pCell.HasFormula Then ExternalFormula = VBA.InStr(1, pCell.Formula, "[") > 0 End If End Function
3. Then save and close the window to back to the current worksheet, and then select the range or the whole worksheet that you want to highlight the external links.
4. And then click Home > Conditional Formatting > New Rule, see screenshot:
5. In the New Formatting Rule dialog box, click Use a formula to determine which cells to format option, and enter this formula =externalformula(A1) (A1 indicates the first cell of your selection) into the Format values where this formula is true text box, see screenshot:
6. Then click Format button to go to the Format Cells dialog, choose one color you like under the Fill tab, see screenshot:
7. And then click OK > OK to close the dialogs. And all the cells contain external links have been highlighted immediately.
8. When you enter other formulas of external links in the selection which covered by the Conditional Formatting, they will be highlighted automatically.
Recommended Productivity Tools
You are guest ( Sign Up? )
or post as a guest, but your post won't be published automatically.
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 3 years agoThis is a nice tutorial; but I found it via Google and it was the closest to what I was looking for. Will this work to conditionally format in a destination workbook which is linked to another workbook?
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 3 years agoI had a hard time finding out how to do this, but your solution works!
Thanks a lot.
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 4 years agoMany thanks for the instruction - it works and very useful!!
Just another question - I really need to highlight the cells with the link to another worksheet in the same document.. Is there any way to do it with some changes in VBA probably or it's only ever going to work with external links to other documents?