How to extract postcode from address list in Excel?
There is a list of full addresses including postcodes of your customers in Excel, and now you want to extract only the zip codes from these addresses, do you have any better way than extracting them one by one? Here, I tell you the quick ways to mass extract multiple zip codes only at a time in Excel.
Excel Productivity Tools
Office Tab: Bring powerful tabs to Office (include Excel), just like Chrome, Safari, Firefox and Internet Explorer. Save you half the time, and reduce thousands of mouse clicks for you. 30-day Unlimited Free Trial
Kutools for Excel: Save 70% of your time and solve 80% Excel problems for you. 300+ advanced features designed for 1500+ work scenario, make Excel much easy and increase productivity immediately.60-day Unlimited Free Trial
In most of cases, the postcode in not longer than 8 characters.
Select a blank cell and type this formula =MID(A1,FIND("zzz",SUBSTITUTE(A1," ","zzz",SUMPRODUCT(1*((MID(A1,ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&LEN(A1))),1))=" "))-1))+1,LEN(A1)) (A1 is the cell you want to extract postcode from), press Enter button and fill the range you want by dragging the fill handle. Now you can see only postcodes are extracted from the list.
There is a VBA that can extract postcodes from full addresses quickly in Excel.
1. Select a cell of the column you want to select and press Alt + F11 to open the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. In the pop-up window, click Insert > Module, then paste the following VBA code into the module.
VBA: Extract zip codes only
Sub ExtractPostCode() 'Updateby20140512 Dim Rng As Range Dim WorkRng As Range On Error Resume Next xTitleId = "KutoolsforExcel" Set WorkRng = Application.Selection Set WorkRng = Application.InputBox("Range", xTitleId, WorkRng.Address, Type:=8) For Each Rng In WorkRng xValue = Split(Rng.Value, " ") For i = LBound(xValue) To UBound(xValue) If xValue(i) Like "[A-Z]*#*" Then Rng.Value = xValue(i) & " " & xValue(i + 1) Exit For End If Next Next End Sub
3. Then click Run button and select the range you want to extract zip codes only from. See screenshot:
4. Click OK, you can see the only the zip codes are reserved in the range.
(1) Running the above VBA will change your original data, you’d better to copy and save them firstly.
(2) This VBA macro is not able to extract the zip codes whose first part contains letters only, such as “1513 4th St NW, Washington, DC 20001”.
Excel Productivity Tools